X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Planer without DC

I have a Ridgid 1300 planer and have about 60 board feet of cypress to plane. I dont have a true DC system to connect to and my shop vac is on loan to a friend for the weekend. Should I still connect the DC hood to direct the waste or is that meant to be used only with DC?

Re: Using Planer without DC

Using the boot will cut down on your broom and dustpan time.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What Badger Dave said.

Plus, I did that once and will never ever do it again. Those planers like to make chips. By the time I got the planer turned off, just a few seconds, there were chips everywhere. What a mess. Maybe you can rig something to eject the chips out a window. One of my nephews uses a bed sheet as a receptacle for his dust collection. He sewed a sheet together along the sides, runs duct work through a window and duct tapes the sheet around duct work. It works suprisingly well.

Comment

Tell your friend you need to borrow your shop vac.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
          I have a Ridgid 1300 planer and have about 60 board feet of cypress to plane. I dont have a true DC system to connect to and my shop vac is on loan to a friend for the weekend. Should I still connect the DC hood to direct the waste or is that meant to be used only with DC?
          I would strongly advise AGAINST keeping the DC boot attached without any actual dust collection going on. It will just clog and jam up, and result in chips being stuck and compacted back in the system. These will get under the rollers and you'll wind up with "chip prints" all over your wood.

60 bf will probably result in a HUGE mess... just wait for your shop vac to come back.. save you a lot of time sweeping. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
            Tell your friend you need to borrow your shop vac.
            HA!!! Good one. The sad thing is I will most likely have to bug him to get it back.

BadgerDave - when you say boot do you mean the hood attachement? Forgive my ingnorance, I am a newbie.

I know its going to create a mess but thats ok. Even if I was using my shop vac I would have to empty it evry five minutes.

Would this work - hooking up the DC hood and attaching a hose and then a bag on the end of that? Not sure if the air pusing the chips out is enough compared to having some suction on the end.

Comment

I know that with my Dewalt planer, it really wants to have some suction on the boot in order to actually pull chips out. Using it without something attached that will actually suck the dust out just leaves me with messed up boards and a HUGE mess. On the other hand, my Dad's planer (a very old one, I think it's a General Machinery) works fine w/out a DC connected. He just pulls it outside and says he's adding mulch to the yard!!
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Read what Wood Junkie said. If there is any moisture at all in the wood, you will end up dismantling that thing to clean it out. It will pack with chips just like you poured a bucket of concrete in it.

Comment

I would strongly advise AGAINST keeping the DC boot attached without any actual dust collection going on. It will just clog and jam up, and result in chips being stuck and compacted back in the system. These will get under the rollers and you'll wind up with "chip prints" all over your wood.
                  that is what happens with mine, (now mine is a old belsaw planer) but my shop vac does not have enough flow to keep up with it,

what I made was a deflector one it keeps knots that would get dislodged down to a safe speed, and keeps the chips nearly confined to riding on the exiting board I had some old cabinet hinges that were semi stiff and used them and the hinged deflector will adjust in in desired angle and turn up if you want access to that side of the machine.

If I am doing a lot I jsut turn it so it kicks it out the shop door (roll up door) and then use a grain scoop to scoop it up into a truck bed or trash cans, depending on the amount of chips created, because when you can fill the bed of a 8' wide by 14' truck box with 2' sides, with chips trash cans start to look very limited, would be nice to have a blower and cyclone to have had it dump directly in to the truck tho,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Take the whole thing outside and let 'er rip. You still have to do some cleanup but it's better than wrecking the whole shop. Before I had a DC I did this for big planing jobs and it works nicely.
                    Later,
                    Chiz

Comment

Working...
                    X