Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bifold Door Problem

Hi,

I have a bi-fold door opening of 31 1/2" and purchased a 32" door.

My question is: should I cut 3/8" off the outer edge of each door or should I just cut one door?

Thanks
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: Bifold Door Problem

IMO, you'd be able to see that 1/2" difference in size of one door. It'd be best to cut a similar amount from both. 3/8" from each will leave you just over 1/2". I assume you're leaving a reveal around the door? You really only need to take 1/4" from each to make up the difference, but an extra 1/8" on each will make a decent reveal amount in the opening.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Skip the track way of hanging your doors, which you need the larger opening. Hinge them (door) to the jambs, throw up some door stop trims and a magnetic catcher to hold the door in a closed position. This is how I hang all bi-fold doors now, the customers love it, since they will never ever come off the track.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager,That is a great idea about hanging bi-fold doors without the track.* Have you time tested it?* I guess what I am asking is how long have you been doing it this way?* A couple more questions I have are:* How many hinges and magnetic catches do you use?* Also in the bi-fold door packages I use there is a little alignment finger which I have never used.* Do you use it when you hang the doors without the track to assist in alignment when the doors close?

An off topic comment. A few months ago you initiated a thread about how to make your first meeting with a contractor a pleasant one. I asked, and was given permission by you, to use your postings in the thread in a presentation to a group of seniors. The presentation was last Thursday. I included your thread-thoughts and the presentation was exceptionally successfull. The question and answer period caused the presentation to extend way beyond the allotted time. I was surprised that what we take for granted as being self-evident is never thought of by our customers e.g. pets and those kid gates. So a big thank you is in order to you and everyone else who contributed to the thread.

Tom

Comment

I don't know where those little asterisk things came from and I don't know how to edit to remove them. In the past when I have attempted to edit I loose most of my posts. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
            Garager,That is a great idea about hanging bi-fold doors without the track.* Have you time tested it?* I guess what I am asking is how long have you been doing it this way?* A couple more questions I have are:* How many hinges and magnetic catches do you use?* Also in the bi-fold door packages I use there is a little alignment finger which I have never used.* Do you use it when you hang the doors without the track to assist in alignment when the doors close?

An off topic comment. A few months ago you initiated a thread about how to make your first meeting with a contractor a pleasant one. I asked, and was given permission by you, to use your postings in the thread in a presentation to a group of seniors. The presentation was last Thursday. I included your thread-thoughts and the presentation was exceptionally successfull. The question and answer period caused the presentation to extend way beyond the allotted time. I was surprised that what we take for granted as being self-evident is never thought of by our customers e.g. pets and those kid gates. So a big thank you is in order to you and everyone else who contributed to the thread.

Tom

First off, I wanna thank you for your kind words, I'm glad your presentation was a success.

Time tested it, well the first doors I did was at least 13 years ago and its still working as far as I know. I had 1 door that caused me problems, I really thought it was warped from moisture/humidity, unfinished door, it protruded out further then the other side at the bottom. I replaced the door and the Manufacturer reimbursed me for it. 6-8 months later the phone rings again, its the same problem.

We did figure it out with some detective work. Closet doors was in the teenager room and the closet has a tendency to fill up with dirty clothes on one side and a large magnet to hold door closed, which in turn, caused the door to constantly not close all the way at the bottom. And after a period of time, the door would stay in that shape. At that point, I told the H.O. to do just the opposite for a time period (back push it), and never heard back from her, so this must have worked.

Thats the only problems I have ever had, "ever". Hanging the doors can be tricky, years of experience from doing it this way, I can get them just right and fairly quickly. You need to check the door opening first, it must be the correct distance apart, at the bottom and top. Then if there is a twist in your opening, thats where experience comes in. I could write a chapter on this, but I am no writer.

So my best advice in this, is to hang your first door/s and from that experience, you'll have a pretty good idea, as to what needs to be corrected for a better and faster install. All my customers are extremely pleased that the doors are hung this way, it will never come off a track, zero maintenance in the future.

Magnets, one on each doors at the top far edge from hinge side, mounted on the door stop trim (which I only install at the top of the jambs) and the strike plate screwed to the top of the door. For size of magnet, no less then 3/4'x1/4", but if you go to strong of a magnet, then you have to yank on the door to get it to open, no need for that, plus what happened to me in my story up above.

The best, #1 reason for me doing this is, the doors when fully open are almost completely flat against the wall, they would be flat against the wall, if it wasn't for the trim/base boards. Makes looking for something in a closet extra sweeeet....

24" doors, I use 2 hinges if the doors are of soft wood. Over 24"s, I do a 3 hinge system. Total time for me to hang a double bi-fold door, lets say 6 hinges and the opening is decent, 1 1/2-2 hrs. Trouble doorway, I can fine tune them in no more then 3-4 hrs. But add another 1/2-3/4 hour for tools to be brought in and taken out and of course clean up.

Now I should add, that any unfinished doors, should get a finish on it as soon as possible, so no warping can happen. The finger alignments, um is there one???

Hope this helps Tom......
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, I'm dazed and confused, HELP. I understand the benefits of using hinges in place of those stupid pivot pins, but without a track to keep the leading door traveling in line with the opening how do you prevent that leading door from pushing into or out of the closet? I do better with pictures.

Comment

You cannot push the door into the closet, because of the door stop trim, that I only put up on the top. Door stop trim is the piece that goes all the way around the door, but the bottom of course. On an exterior door, it holds the weather stripping.

Opening the door is a different feel then opening a man door, because of the hinges with a 2 section piece. But after a few times, you'll get the feel for it and then your a pro.

But to be able to open that bi-fold door so its completely out of your way, is the best. I've only seen one other person ever, to hang those doors like me. Sort of like a trade secrete. Even when I tell people this is the way I do it, they'll forget in a short period of time. But thee ones that I have done work for, tells and shows everyone.

I might be able to get some pictures in here tomorrow. I'm heading to my parents for coffee in the morning, and I know I did one closet there.

I'll get ya some pics....

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                  You cannot push the door into the closet, because of the door stop trim, that I only put up on the top. Door stop trim is the piece that goes all the way around the door, but the bottom of course. On an exterior door, it holds the weather stripping.

Opening the door is a different feel then opening a man door, because of the hinges with a 2 section piece. But after a few times, you'll get the feel for it and then your a pro.

But to be able to open that bi-fold door so its completely out of your way, is the best. I've only seen one other person ever, to hang those doors like me. Sort of like a trade secrete. Even when I tell people this is the way I do it, they'll forget in a short period of time. But thee ones that I have done work for, tells and shows everyone.

I might be able to get some pictures in here tomorrow. I'm heading to my parents for coffee in the morning, and I know I did one closet there.

I'll get ya some pics....
                  Garager, I'd really appreciate some pictures. I can sort of picture a piece of trim behind the door towards the inside of the closet to prevent the door from swinging into the closet but without pictures I don't get what would keep the whole door on a two section from swinging into the room, much the same as when the leading wheel comes out of the track. My fourteen year old daughter is a bear on the bifolds and even though I take my time and secure those pin hinges and adjust the height for the rollers, the doors don't last very long. I was considering installing the Stanley sliding doors from Home depot. Full track top and bottom, can't picture her destroying them?

Comment

Sorry Frank, this was the only picture that came out. I took 4 pictures and only the first one came out. I was messing with the camera for close up shot and I got the whole thing screwed up. Maybe another day soon, I'll retake some more pictures, so this is the best I could do for today. Of course the door was shut on the very first picture.... Sorry about that.

I should add, that this door has been up for over 10 years, hasn't sagged or warped, theres some scuff marks from being there for this period of time, but over all its still hanging, and I've never had to do any maintenance on it.
                    Last edited by garager; 04-06-2008, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks Garager. I know you're a busy guy, so whenever you get around to it I would like to see more. I still can't figure how it works? I just spent a couple of hours fixing the double bifolds on my daughter's closet. That hardware is junk compared to the hinges you suggest. I can see how your door with the hinge would swing open and the one attached to it would fold. I even get the stop molding to keep it from going into the closet, just can't see what would keep it from swinging into the room. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Thanks Garager. I know you're a busy guy, so whenever you get around to it I would like to see more. I still can't figure how it works? I just spent a couple of hours fixing the double bifolds on my daughter's closet. That hardware is junk compared to the hinges you suggest. I can see how your door with the hinge would swing open and the one attached to it would fold. I even get the stop molding to keep it from going into the closet, just can't see what would keep it from swinging into the room. Thanks
                        A magnetic catcher, at any hardware store. This is the magnet, which attaches to the door stop, upside down. There is a steel plate that will screw to the door and it comes with the magnet. Place everything as far as you can away from the hinge side at the top, this way its out of the way from clothing snagging the magnet. Once the door is closed, it'll stay closed.

Comment

Garager,

I think what Frankiearms is asking, and I have the same question, is, when the door is in the half way open position is it possible for the entire unit, both doors, to be pulled out into the room? The angle of the photo makes it look as though it can. I think you said in a previous post that the doors open a little differently than ones on tracks and it only takes a few openings to get used to it. Maybe that is what you meant.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                            Garager,

I think what Frankiearms is asking, and I have the same question, is, when the door is in the half way open position is it possible for the entire unit, both doors, to be pulled out into the room?
                            The angle of the photo makes it look as though it can. I think you said in a previous post that the doors open a little differently than ones on tracks and it only takes a few openings to get used to it. Maybe that is what you meant.

Tom
                            Yes

It will swing out like a normal door does, or you can fold it in half when your opening it, and swing it out like a normal door does. I hope I have answered correctly, theres no difference with the swing as a normal man door does.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                              Yes

It will swing out like a normal door does, or you can fold it in half when your opening it, and swing it out like a normal door does. I hope I have answered correctly, theres no difference with the swing as a normal man door does.
                              Thanks Garager, that was one thing I needed to know. I know I could do well with the set up you've described, just a matter of making a small effort in how to open the doors. I don't think my daughter would do the same thing, she would just be grabbing the handle and flinging the door into the room and against anything in it's path. She and my wife were away this weekend visiting our older daughter at college and I worked on the house a bit including those bifiolds. I got them working really well and when my daughter got home I explained what I had done. She said they were fine the way they were! Teenagers, bless their hearts.

Comment

Working...
                              X