sheetrock texture help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheetrock texture help needed

My house was built in the early 80's and in this area ceilings were painted with a textured look. It appears a tool was pressed to the paint on the ceiling, resulting in a lot of random ridges. These ridges are hard and wont scrape off. Every ceiling in the house has this look and I want to remove and repaint a smooth ceiling. Is their a tool or a technique to do this job, without making an incredible mess or taking weeks to complete?

Any ideas are most appreciated

Re: sheetrock texture help needed

Sanding will create a mess unless you have a good dust collection system, scraping it off will
    also be messy, either of these methods will require a lot of muscle. Adding new drywall may be your best solution.

Comment

I believe that they actually sell 1/4" thick sheetrock for going over screwed up walls instead of demoing the old sheetrock. To put it on the ceiling, make sure you have lifts and help as it probably would be pretty easy to break handling it on the horizontal. Scraping the texture off would be a pain if it is done in veneer plaster instead of the so called texturing compounds. My home which is early 80s has veneer plaster with sand swirl texture and it is hard as a rock.

Comment

As an old drywall man, I see two viable options:

1. Skim coat the existing surface. (apply more mud to cover the ridges)
        Mud is mixed with water, rolled onto the ceiling and then flat finished with a broad knife. Once dried, additional coat/s may be required until it looks like a light sanding will produce a flat finish. A good finisher is familiar with this and is a good option that saves resetting any fixtures or moldings you may have to do with a new ceiling.

2. New drywall, but stay away from the 1/4" (slappers), and use either 1/2" HS or 5/8 for this. Along with the problems identified in a previous response, the 1/4" will wave if used on a ceiling.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bbtownman View Post

Mud is mixed with water, rolled onto the ceiling and then flat finished with a broad knife. Once dried, additional coat/s may be required until it looks like a light sanding will produce a flat finish. A good finisher is familiar with this and is a good option that saves resetting any fixtures or moldings you may have to do with a new ceiling.

2. New drywall, but stay away from the 1/4" (slappers), and use either 1/2" HS or 5/8 for this. Along with the problems identified in a previous response, the 1/4" will wave if used on a ceiling.

Good luck
          Yeah, I didn't think about the wave factor on a ceiling. I have only seen it used in a kitchen where someone destroyed the sheetrock trying to get wallpaper off and took most of the paper off the drywall with it (didnt know when to stop). That is probably the best application for the 1/4".

Would veneer plaster work better than drywall mud, or would it have an adhesion problem since it wouldn't be being applied directly to blueboard? I know it is tougher to sand so it would have to be done by a plaster finisher who could get it right the first time.

Comment

I don't know much about the plaster, I've never worked with it much because like you said, it was so difficult to sand.

I have done repairs to cracks/patches in plaster in the past and just used hot mud, (quick setting powder) and has worked just fine.

In my initial response I should have added that as a part of skim coating, carefully take a 12" drywall knife and scrape the ceiling just to try and reduce any high ridges. A quick pass is all that's needed.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bbtownman View Post

Good luck

Thats the best answer, if you don't know what you doing, hire it out. Even if you drywall the ceiling, you need to make sure your hitting solid wood above it. Then you still have to tape the whole job. So get a pro and skim coat it. Or leave it alone and paint it, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. But if you hate looking at it, skim coat it like bbtownman said. Thats good advice....

Now what does drywall have to do with wood working? This thread and the Bi-Fold door question Thread is in the wrong area. Josh can you move the two, they should be in construction area.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
              X