X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID T 3650 Table Saw

I am very near the decision point of purchasing a new table saw. Home Depot currently has a 20% off promotion on the 3650. I was leaning towards a Jet but the price is close to $700 vs. the Home Depot price of about $460 after the discount.
    To the people that have a 3650, "Would you buy another one?"

Re: RIDGID T 3650 Table Saw

I've had mine for two months. I've used it for ripping some cedar for an Adirondack chair, building a sandbox top, closet shelving, and making two sacrificial fences for itself.

I got mine for $420; but would pay even the $550 or even more for it.

Comment

I bought mine the beginning of February and am very happy with it. Yes, I would buy it again.
      The Ridgid blade was O.K. but I bought a good thin kerf Freud combo blade that works great for me. I also replaced the flat belt and pulleys with machined pulleys and link belt. It runs a lot smoother and will pass the "nickel test" when it would not before. It cost about $50 and another $60 for the blade so I have an extra $110 in the whole setup.
      Buy the Ridgid. You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by H2oMaintMgr View Post
        I bought mine the beginning of February and am very happy with it. Yes, I would buy it again.
        The Ridgid blade was O.K. but I bought a good thin kerf Freud combo blade that works great for me. I also replaced the flat belt and pulleys with machined pulleys and link belt. It runs a lot smoother and will pass the "nickel test" when it would not before. It cost about $50 and another $60 for the blade so I have an extra $110 in the whole setup.
        Buy the Ridgid. You won't regret it.
        Your new link belt and machined pully set-up is smoother running than the stock Ridgid machined pulleys and poly-v belt? I thought it was ok with the stock pullleys and flat belt but having even less vibration and being smoother would always be better..I might try this set up..where did you get the machined pulleys?

Comment

If my budget was tight I'd buy the 3650 at $460, but if I could spend a bit more there are lots of good hybrids that offer some advantages and have Beismeyr fences. The Jet Pro-shop saw is particularly attractive to me at $600-$700.

Comment

Purchased my 3650 three years ago. I replaced the original blade with a Delta blade but still use the stock blade for rough cuts. It is a great saw and has performed admirably. The fence is very good. I would highly recommend it. I don't think that I will have to buy another as it is built to last.

Comment

Originally posted by zekeman View Post
              Your new link belt and machined pully set-up is smoother running than the stock Ridgid machined pulleys and poly-v belt? I thought it was ok with the stock pullleys and flat belt but having even less vibration and being smoother would always be better..I might try this set up..where did you get the machined pulleys?
              Zekeman, I ordered the pulleys and linkbelt from www.in-lineindustries.com.
              They were out of the linkbelt so I ordered it from Peachtree. A 4 foot piece is more than enough.
              When I first started my saw it had some vibration and a sort of harmonic thrumming sound. I first re-aligned the pulleys, they weren't out that much, and it helped. The new pulleys and belt made a big difference.
              Good Luck.
              Terry

Comment

I went to HD last month to buy the 3650 but was not carrying it anymore, just the 3660. It was on sale at the time. This is a good saw especially for the price. Sure there will always be some woodworkers that will find what they think are flaws in this saw. I use mine every day and have no complaints.

Comment

The 3650 is great, the fence is good, and i dont mind the motor hanging off the back, contractor style. I am very pleased with the saw and I would buy it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert58 View Post
                    I went to HD last month to buy the 3650 but was not carrying it anymore, just the 3660. It was on sale at the time. This is a good saw especially for the price. Sure there will always be some woodworkers that will find what they think are flaws in this saw. I use mine every day and have no complaints.

The 3660 its the same saw with some improvements in the legs but otherwise the same. I got mine about 2 weeks ago. I compared it locally to the Delta ,Craftman and Jet saws of comparable size/price and couldnt justify to pay a more higher price for the other ones. Once properly tuned and set up it would be hard to find a better one for this price.The fence is ok with me and if I ever need a better fence I will buy the Incra set. Some people marry to brands and will find every other brand with faults. I was objective as I just recently learn from all these brands and came to the conclusion that this wins the best buy award.

Comment

Just bought the 3660 a month ago. Absolutely, without a doubt, the best saw in the <$600 category.

If you want to step up to the $650-800 range, the Jet Proshop hybrid and the Craftsman 22114 are also good saws- although the fence on the Ridgid is better IMHO than the 22114 fence. Craftsman 22124 is a great saw with a great fence- probably one of the best 110v saws out there. It will run you $800+ depending on the sears sale of the day. Grizzly is also a favorite among many. Think their hybrid is in the $800 range too.

BUT, and it's a big but, the more expensive saws I mentioned are not going to cut wood better than the Ridgid. For the extra $$ you're buying the better dust control of the hybrid saw and some design advantages of not having an outboard motor. If you're like me and are fine opening the garage door and just moving the saw to a few feet from the door to get good ventilation and hook up a shopvac to the 2" port on the Ridgid then there is really no advantage any of the above mentioned more expensive saws have.

Really, to get a significantly better saw than the Ridgid, you'll have to go to a 3HP 220V cabinet saw.

Oh, and I forgot to add- seeking to reduce vibration and noise is great, but for all practical purposes the stock 3660 is quiet and vibration free enough. I mean I can never hear the saw over my shopvac. It's about the quietest power tool in my little shop. What small vibration there is does not affect anything- and I think it vibrates significantly less than a friends JET.
                      Last edited by gator95; 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

HD has $100 off the 3650 through 4/30, so may take the plunge. They have none in stock at the moment but have three coming in, not sure if they're the 3650 or the 3660. WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota818 View Post
                          HD has $100 off the 3650 through 4/30, so may take the plunge. They have none in stock at the moment but have three coming in, not sure if they're the 3650 or the 3660. WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES?

Thanks.
                          Only difference that I'm aware of is that the side leg braces on the 3660 are the same width and are located at the same place on the legs as the front braces. On the 3650 the side braces were lower on the legs and connected with one screw rather than two on the 3660. This should make the 3660 marginally more stable- but I don't think stability was ever a major issue on the 3650 if the saw was properly leveled and dialed in.

For the same price, might as well get the 3660. Wouldn't have paid more for it though.

Comment

Working...
                          X