Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado/Arbor Length

Hello,
    I was making some test cuts last evening with a new stacked dado set. I installed the dado set on the arbor at the maximum width of cut 29/32". It fits on the arbor fine but I can't install the arbor washer with the lock nut at that dado width. Is this normal or appropiate? Do I need the washer on or is it alright to just use the lock nut in this situation? Any advice would be great.

Gregg

Hi Greg,
    No you don't need the washer, with the Dado Blades they are thick enough with out one.

Chuck
    Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

Chuck's right, you do not need the outside blade washer. Also the nut will only go on a few turns, but do not worry about it coming off. The rotation of the blade will cause it to tighten.

Jake

Comment

One question though...29/32nds?...Which saw are you using? I thought the max dado width on the TS2424 was 13/16ths (or 26/32nds for the fractionally challenged. I know we're quibbling over 3/32nds but just thought I'd check the specs
        - Tim

Comment

Tim,

The manual does state a max dado width. I'm not in my shop but I think you have it or are very close. I recently purchased the Freud Super dado set and set up to plow 25/32" in pt pine. Out of curiousity (I know, it can kill a cat but not a Wood Dog [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I checked to see if the arbor would handle one more chipper (only had an 1/8" chipper left to try.) It would not allow me to thread the nut. I could have added a few shims but my arbor would not allow me to reach 29/32".

Maybe some slight variation in arbor lengths.... I don't know. I have the TS2424-1 if that makes a difference.

I guess size matters after all.

Wood Dog

Comment

Well the widest dado the arbor is made for 13/16". I guess I just assumed that was the max width for all dados...I guess not. If the arbor was any longer at full depth/full height the arbor would hit the underside of the insert.

Jake

Comment

Working...
            X