X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable table saw or stationary?

i'm going to buy one of the ridgid table saws but im not sure which. i have home depot gift cards and a coupon, but i will still have to fork out some cash. I have a decent size shop, but the 3650 will take a good chunk of it. i like the fact that i can fold the 2400ls. I'm getting into furniture making, but im never going to rip full sheets of plywood or things like that. i plan on doing same dadoes, trimming working pieces, tenons, raised panels, coves, and such. i know that the 3650 will be better suited for all of this, but what are the big drawbacks or advantages of the 2400ls. i would be thankful for anyfeedback.

Being a very satisfied owner of a 3650 I am not disappointed that I spent the extra $$. If you are considering furniture making a good solid based table saw seems a good choice. The 3650 with a quality blade (DeWalt woodworking or better) and you will be set for many satisfying projects........ [img]smile.gif[/img]
    see ya \'round the bend

Comment

This comment is just on the types of saws you mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the 3650, but many like it.

But, first, welcome to the forum.

From the type of work you're describing, I would definetly get a full-sized contractor's saw, as opposed to a portable. The 2400 is a well-built saw, but it's strength is being a good, portable job site saw----not necessiairly a good furniture making saw. I'll give you two reasons for a start.

1) Check the size of the tables of both----pay particular attention to distance the leading edge of the blade is to the front of the table. This is not only a safety issue, but can limit the width of stock you can crosscut, using the miter gauge.

2) Many saw accessories and upgrades are designed for full-sized contractors' saws, not portables.

Personally, I'd make the room for the contractors' saw---you'll be happier in the long run.
      Dave

Comment

Welcome to the forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        I own a 3650 and like it a lot. The herculift makes it a breeze to move it out of the way if you have to when you're not using it.
        Like Dave said, the bigger table will be a big advantage for most operations.
        If you get the 3650, do a search on "3650 assembly". There are a lot of good tips to make the assembly a lot easier.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Get the stationary model. But those legs need help. They are terrible. Weak and move way too much for serious work. Might even be a safety issue with OSHA on this saw.
          oops

Comment

I have been using the 3650 since it came out for furniture and it has been great. Have had no issues with the legs, if put together properly (by the manual). Daveferg is right about the front edge to blade. I had a dewalt conctractors saw and the distance was to short for crosscutting, the 3650 is much wider. Also on the 3650 the mitre slots fit all after-market without sanding to make it fit as with the older 3612 and before. The dust collection is also much improved.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by LB:
              Get the stationary model. But those legs need help. They are terrible. Weak and move way too much for serious work. Might even be a safety issue with OSHA on this saw.
              No way, Jose!
              The legs on my 3650 are solid. Sure if you grab the corners of the wings and twist it back and forth, you'll get a little flex at the bottom of the legs, but for any sawing operation, it is solid! Do you own one? Did you assemble it properly?
              Lorax

Comment

I normally don't throw my 2 cents out when I haven't actually worked with a saw like the 2400, but I do have a cheapie benchtop and these replies are dead on when it comes to stability of the saw and working room in front of the blade. A contractors saw like the 3650 (I have the 2424LS) is a pleasure to operate while benchtops and portables are a pain in the rump sometimes. HTH
                \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

you mention dados make sure whatever saw you chose that the dado blades will fit (I've seen mention on this board that the arbor is too short for some of the wider ones like the freud)

Comment

OK now for my $.02 I have a 2400 and love it. I have a space problem and this saw helps alot. I build everything from picture frames to furniture and have never had one complaint about my 2400. when I need to cut large items like sheet goods I just roll it out into the driveway and cut away. The 2400 is strong and accurate. If I had to replace it, I would buy another 2400. Dan
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by bvww:
                      you mention dados make sure whatever saw you chose that the dado blades will fit (I've seen mention on this board that the arbor is too short for some of the wider ones like the freud)
                      The only one I know of that wont fit is the Freud SD608 dial-a-dado. Any regular 8" stacked dado set should work. FYI The arbor is 1 1/8 " long.

From the above responses it looks like the best decision is just to buy both saws! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Yeah, there ya go! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Lorax

Comment

The 2400 appears to be a good jobsite saw, but there are many advantages in the performance of a good contractor saw. Induction motors are inherently quieter and longer lived than universal motors. The body of the 3650 is steel vs plastic. The top and wings are cast iron vs whatever the top of the 2400 is made of. The table surface is larger, and the saw is considerably heavier and more stable.

A jobsite saw is the way to go IF you need to move it from place to place. But IMO the 3650 will make for a better wwing saw.

Comment

Working...
                        X