X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unanswered concerned

Okay you guys are convincing me. The first time I saw the TS2424 I wanted one but ever since everyone has tried to talk me out of it. To me it looks like the biggest bang for the buck but I still have a nagging question.

It is over the use of zinc in the trunnions, the competitors call it pot metal and say it is a sign of weakness or at least a high wear point. Is this a problem?

Also can someone tell me the distance from the mitre slots to the blade. I'm trying to figure if the accessories I have from my Shopsmith will work. Cuttoff table, tendoning jig, featherboards, etc.

One last quesion (who am I kidding? ) in the latest TS2424 package what should you get? besides the saw itself, the lift and fence and rails. Isn't there a mitre hold down and what else?
    Thanks to all who answered my previous questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
    Rev Ed

You should get a dust collector attachment and a miter gauge hold-down with the 2424 package. Also you'll get a 7" dado insert. All in all one heck of a great deal. Ask those other sales people pushing Delta, Jet, etc... just why they won't warrantee their machines like RIDGID does. The warranty and after market service are where the rubber meets the road. Just something to consider.

Everett

Comment

As to the trunnion material---it's the same as my older (13 year old model) and there has never been a problem---they are mainly an alignment method and when I had them out recently, noted no signs of wear.

One note---be sure you know the exact model number of the new version---check the web page---only reason I mention it is that the older 2424 didn't have the micro-adjust trunnion---actually found a display model of this older unit, at HD---just want to make sure you get the latest model.
      Dave

Comment

Get the 8" dado insert. the part number is ac 1030.
        Andy B.

Comment

Note that the TS2424 does not have a T-slot in the miter slot. The lack of one is not necessarily a big negative but this might be a problem for some non-Ridgid accessories. I personally thought all the good things of the TS2424 far outweighed not having this feature.

[ 05-22-2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Comment

Have you ever heard of anyone actually wearing out a trunnion? I haven't. I HAVE, however, heard of people breaking them. Cast iron, you probably know, is rather brittle.

Want to have some fun with the "competition"? Ask them why their saws use a tube system cradle, instead of cast iron like a Ridgid.

If the competition wants to sell a Delta, ask if the open motor won't collect an awful lot of dust (it won't, BTW). If they want to sell a Jet or Powermatic, be concerned about the extra power draw (it does) and lack of a run capacitor.

Ask any of the competitor's (other than Sears, probably) about a true trunnion lock for bevel, rather than a handwheel lock.

Name a feature on anyone's saw, I'll give you the counterfeature...

Blade to left miter is 5". On right, slightly less than 4" depending on blade thickness. The model number for the latest machine is TS2424-1. Don't know what it should come with, mine is an older model.

Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I recall the ShopSmith miter slot not being 3/4"x3/8". Are your fixtures going to fit any other saw?

Dave
            (Oh, by the way. As a hobby, I AM the competition, I sell for Woodcraft for fun. )

Comment

Go Dave!!! Anyone have any more features they want to tout in comparison with the competing saws out there (are we taking this thread somewhere it was not supposed to go)? I will give you a few:

I like the Ind-i-cut that shows where the blade will hit the workpiece.

I like the easily removeable blade guard that is very easy to replace and have it in alignment so that a person is apt to always use it when ripping.

I like the slots in the fence that allows various accessories or aux fences to be installed on the aluminum fence. This can also protect the fence. I prefer not to clamp directly on the fence.

I like the webbed cast-iron extension wings that allow accessories or clamps to be installed in the middle of the wing.

I like the moveable power switch that you can put where you like it the most.

Comment

Board Buddies will mount on the fence with NO modifications to the fence! For those of you who have never tried a pair, you do not know what you are missing.
                I do not own a Rigid saw. I own a Craftsman. If HD had been in my area two years ago, I would have bought the Rigid. I have the mobile base on my saw. Had to buy the dado insert. Splitter/Blade gaurd is a PITA to remove/re-install. One year warrenty VS lifetime ect. I could live with out the T-slot mitre. In other words, the Rigid contractors saw is most likly the best bang for the buck out there.
                I will be upgrading to a Cabinet saw in the future, maybe Rigid will have one out by then (hint to Jake).
                Support Our Troops!
                www.mnpatriotguard.org
                www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Thank again for all the replies, especially Dave Arbuckle's, all were very informative.
                  While cast iron is brittle isn't zinc by nature weaker? I would think there would be wear and potential for breakage that doesn't exist in cast iron. Am I wrong?
                  Dave you pointed out the weak points in most of the competition can you point out one in the Dewalt 647?
                  Someone said their next saw is going to be a cabinet saw would I be wise to consider the Grizzly 1023sl or the new ShopFox now? They run about $250 more than the Ridgid and $250 over a lifetime isn't that much.
                  While money isn't a big issue I hate to spend more than I need too. To me it seems to be such a waste to have power and features you never use.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

Rev Ed---as I said before---the zinc (alloy?) trunnions are just fine---indeed, I'd worry more if they were simply cast aluminum. Don't know how much more reassurance we can give you.

The Indi-cut (used to be called Magic something or other) is one of those thoughtful little features the Rigid has---like the brackets to hold your miter gauge and fence.

As to the Grizzley---take a close look at what comes with it. By the time you equip it with motor cover/dust chute, and other accessories which come free with Rigid, the price rises.

As I said before, you're next jumping off point, as to saw selection, is one with an after-market fence already included. Otherwise, the Rigid is a great value---however, don't forget to see if you can do a bit of dickering on the price.
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by RevEd:
                      While cast iron is brittle isn't zinc by nature weaker? I would think there would be wear and potential for breakage that doesn't exist in cast iron. Am I wrong?
                      Ed,

I have yet to see a sign trunion wear out or break, ever. Now thats not to say I have seen everything in the world, but I think you'll find that the trunions on our saw are as realiable as any other manufacture. We just do not see failures in that area.

Jake

O and Dave thanks for the reply, well said.

Comment

You keep coming back and asking questions, that's good. I was going to buy a Grizzly 1023, but have decided on the Ridgid 2424. I have the 2400 right now (good deal at the time). There are so many what ifs that you can drive yourself crazy. Buy the saw and happy woodworking By the way if you get it home and don't like it, you can always take it back to HD. Try that with the others.
                        Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

"While cast iron is brittle isn't zinc by nature weaker?"
                          As Jake said, ETC has made these machines like this a long time. The problems just don't exist.

"the Dewalt 647?"
                          A hard to remember model number... Sorry, I couldn't resist, it's the 746.
                          That's about the best contractor-type tablesaw made, toughest to sell against. It has an astonishing pricetag as it's worst feature. For nine hundred dollars or so, you are getting a machine outfitted similarly to a Ridgid TS2412 (slightly longer fence). This is the first large powertool this version of the DeWalt company has built (DeWalt today has little but a name in common with the old RAS maker), and they've had some QC type issues. Tabletop flatness has been a problem, early fences had extrusion issues, some people have trouble aligning the stamped wings. This saw bevel rips better than any other contractor-type saw, due to it's motor being mounted under the cradle.

"cabinet saw would I be wise to consider the Grizzly 1023sl or the new ShopFox now?"
                          I didn't realize the TS2424 was up to $700.

My concern about the Grizzly for a new user (I think I'm picking up that this will be your first tablesaw?) is support and service. To the best of my knowledge, the only service available on their machines is parts swapping or mailing it back to them. Should worse come to worst how would you feel about, to pick a scenario I've heard more than once, swapping out a set of bearings on a new machine? Some find it difficult to arrange the 220 volt power these machines require. I never have actually touched a Grizzly, so my opinions don't have to do with the machine itself.

Chuck makes an excellent point about buying a machine like a tablesaw by mail order. Be certain to have very clear understanding of the company's return policy.

Dave

Comment

Dave is right on the nose about the mail order. Prior to my Craftsman, I had a benchtop. I then ordered a contractors saw from a mail order company. Between figuring out how bad it was, and getting it returned plus getting my money back was a two month ordeal! For two months I had no saw as I had already sold the benchtop!

As far as a Cabinet saw goes. Really there is no comparison here. It's like a Yugo and an El Dorado. Both will bet you to the same place. I will be retiring in @ 8 years. I'm in Law Enforcement, so I won't be all that old. I plan on spending my time making furniture for a small market. Won't really be too concerned with income from it, just doing something I like and making ends meet so the woodwork doesn't cost anything. A cabinet saw has a lot more meat to it. Doesn't move and with a 3hp motor I won't be bogging down in 8/4 Oak. Do I need one? No. But I do not think that it will be a waiste of my money. My grandkids can get it when I'm gone.

Oh well, my $.02 worth.......................
                            Support Our Troops!
                            www.mnpatriotguard.org
                            www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Not to quibble, but if you want the extras (the dust collector, which in my opinion actually works, the miter gauge hold down, which I don't use often but which is nice to have on those occasions when you're working with small stuff, and the dado insert), you want model number "TS2424-LS." The table saw is the same as 2424-1, but if the stock no. translates to 2424-1, you're not going to get the extra goodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X