X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum cuitting blade

I'm in the process of building a router extension leaf for my 3650 and I need to cut some aluminum angle. Will my ts blade be able to cut the aluminum or do I need a special one. I have a Freud 60 tooth combo blade on the saw at the moment Thanks

Re: Aluminum cuitting blade

Instead of running the risk of damaging your blade, why not just make those cuts with a hacksaw? There are blades out there that are designed to handle cutting aluminum but I'm guessing that your blade isn't one of those.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Most of the time when I see guys cutting metal, they have a special blade in a CMS, or they have a "chop saw." I wouldn't even consider using a TS to cut it. You *MIGHT* be able to cut aluminum on a band saw provided you have the right blade, or a band saw designed to cut metal.

Try the miter saw with a metal cutting blade, or use a hacksaw. With the hacksaw, consider it your workout for the day! It's very aerobic work. I know because I don't have a metal cutting blade. I do, however, have a hacksaw!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

They make non-ferrous metal blades for such tasks. They're usually a fairly high tooth count (like 80), with a triple chip grind (TCG), and a negative hook angle to reduce impact on the tips of the teeth. Probably worth looking into before giving your Freud blade a beating. You could also buy a cheap blade to make the cuts in the aluminum to spare your Freud....it really depends on how much you're going to cut.

Comment

Got a sawzall / saber saw? Just get a metal cutting blade and clamp that angle iron *really* securely. That'll make short work of cutting it without the aerobic workout.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            They make non-ferrous metal blades for such tasks. They're usually a fairly high tooth count (like 80), with a triple chip grind (TCG), and a negative hook angle to reduce impact on the tips of the teeth. Probably worth looking into before giving your Freud blade a beating. You could also buy a cheap blade to make the cuts in the aluminum to spare your Freud....it really depends on how much you're going to cut.
            those are pretty costly blades as i have them for my dewalt multicutter. they do a great job and i use them to cut steel with little to no sparks and heat. the one i use are for steel.

for an inexpensive aluminum cutting blade, you can buy a fine tooth plywood cutting blade and it will be a little noisy, but will do an acceptable job.

if you have a chop saw, it will be a better choice than a table saw.still use the aluminum blade.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I got this blade many years ago and it still works fine. Mounted it in the CMS to cut aluminum angle. The speed of the CMS is higher than the hand saw so I did end up with a little melting of the aluminum. It got pretty hot and I had to pick off the metal after the blade cooled. But it did work fine. Next time I'll use the circular saw. I THINK the rotational speed is slower on the CS. It also may be that the past history of the blade has dulled it. In any case it does beat the hack saw.
              Attached Files
              Jim

Comment

While generally not acceptable, I have cut quite a bit of aluminum with a stock makita 80T blade and a 60T freud blade with no damage at all to either of the blades. The freud blade still produces a nice clean edge on maple. I did this on both the TS and CMS.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll just pickup a cheap 80 tooth blade at Harbor Freight and cut it on my CMS. Only have 4 cuts to make so it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

If you are going to cut it with a circle saw blade wear full clothing,best is coveralls,a full face mask and gloves.Alu in a table saw flies everywhere and its generally hot enough to not feel good when it hits your arms face etc.A friend cuts it a lot as hes into welding alu heavily.I've cut it some too.Be careful.
                    Sam

Comment

Working...
                    X