adding a riving knife to a 3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a riving knife to a 3650

anyone know of a way or have done it, add a riving knife to 3650?

jer

Re: adding a riving knife to a 3650

I don't know for sure and could be wrong but I don't believe adding a riving knife is possible without some major modifications to the saw.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Dave's right...not an easy task, but you can add a nice aftermarket or shopmade splitter. There's nothing magic about a riving knife. The riving knife's biggest advantage is that it's more likely to be in place when needed because there's less reason to remove it. It rides up and down with the blade and is a little closer to the blade. The RK is a more elegant design than a typical splitter, but it still performs the same basic function.

You could look into a Sharkguard or Microjig Pro, or build your own splitter.

Here's one my brother made for my 22124 hybrid:
      Name:  982eb6479a2836b1d0ff7c24f290861e.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  26.1 KB Name:  99cbe92311c4bc648e8e4d46bbbeb84e.jpg
Size:  26.8 KB Name:  168b01c6a6183d7eb3e3debe18fd53f8.jpg
Size:  31.8 KB

Comment

Interesting add-on, hewood. Did your brother make a pocket-bracket which you bolted to the trunion or other part of the undercarriage? Nice addition. I'm trying to picture this on a 3650.
        Later,
        Chiz
        https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

I doubt if there is enough room behind the blade on the 3650 to accept a modification like the one on hewood's zipcode.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

One big difference is that the riving knife moves with the blade, so the gap between the blade and the knife is always the same. This helps eliminate kickback far better than the splitter does.

Comment

I sure wish there was a way to add a riving knife. I was wondering if you created several zero blade inserts and added a splitter depending on the height of the blade. Say for ripping 3/4 inch plywood the blade is only a inch high and the splitter added closer to the blade. For a thicker board a separate insert would have a higher blade height and the splitter farther back on the insert.

The splitter could be a 1/8 hardwood or after market plastic thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sdiverdan View Post
                I sure wish there was a way to add a riving knife. I was wondering if you created several zero blade inserts and added a splitter depending on the height of the blade. Say for ripping 3/4 inch plywood the blade is only a inch high and the splitter added closer to the blade. For a thicker board a separate insert would have a higher blade height and the splitter farther back on the insert.

A fellow woodworker named Bob Ross makes a "Push/Pull" splitter, and "BORK" (Bolt On Ripping Knife). The BORK is essentially a riving knife that rides up and down and tilts with the blade, but he only has models for a handful of saws...Grizzly/Shop Fox cabinet saws, and Steel City and Craftsman hybrids at this time (AFAIK).

walnutacrewoodworking.com/Online_Store.

The main advantage of a riving knife over a splitter is that it's more likely to be in place....a decent splitter works fine most of the time if it's left on the saw. The closer proximity to the blade is also a benefit of a riving knife, though I don't see it as the main advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by sdiverdan View Post

I have been thrashing this around in my mind for a couple years now, how to put a riving knife on the TS-3650 that is. I have an idea or two which I want to try out. It would be pure bolt-on and 100% reversible with no damage to the TS. What I have in mind would means that an alternate way to install a guard would be required, or an overarm guard would have to be used.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                  X