Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanders: Random orbit vs 1/4 sheet palm

Hey all--

Question: When would one use a random orbit sander vs a 1/4 sheet palm sander? Are they for differing applications? Which would be user for finish work? Which for aggressive surface removal?

I'd appreciate any clarification!

C

I use my ROS for just about everything except edge sanding. I find that a finish sander works best for me when edge sanding. The ROS is a very versatile tool in that it can be used as a finish sander as well as a rough sander for the aggressive removal of material. You can accomplish these tasks just by changing paper grit. If I could only have one of the two types, the ROS would win going away.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

C,

I agree with Dave, ROS is just a darn nice tool to have and it was my first choice too (I see on your other posting that you bought the Ridgid 2600). Actually, I also went back and bought the 1/4-sheet later. One of the reasons for the latter is that it offers additional versatility with a wider variety of sanding media, it's great for edge sanding, and I've even used "scotch" pads on it for cleaning old surfaces. Both are great tools.

CWS

Comment

Good Morning,
        I was at my local HD last night and they had a display model 2610 ROS marked down to $104.00. Is this a good sander for the price? I have a makita 5" ros and a ridgid 1/4 sheet but am addicted to tools. will the 2610 do anything the other two will not?

Comment

The 2610 won't do anything that you can't already do with your other two sanders. It will do some things faster but not necessarily better.
          I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I like the 2610 for the dual orbit pattern. You can switch from 1/4" orbit for fast material removal to 1/8" orbit for fine finishing. I think it is a great sander and since mine was 249 CDN, 104 seems like a deal. Just remember the paper is more expensive and a bit harder to find

Comment

Working...
            X