Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is HD/Ridgid listening? Interesting find today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is HD/Ridgid listening? Interesting find today.

Went to HD this morning as part of standard weekend doings and was shocked at what I saw...

On display was the Ridgid drill press, jointer, and bandsaw fully assembled. All three were right next to each other. This was done sometime during the week cause it sure wasnt there last weekend. And wouldnt you know, yesterday I didnt go down that asile so I dont know if it was there yesterday(only needed a short piece of oak and some black 3/4" pipe) . I have never seen any of those in person and was a pleasant suprise.

They are actually a lot shorter than I expected which is good for a person like me at 5'4". I think the jointer may be next on my list now that I have a better basis of comparison to others I am considering.

I am sure in a couple of weeks they will get trashed and once again there will only be pictures but for now this is a good thing.

Re: Is HD/Ridgid listening? Interesting find today.

With the exception of the jointer, which disappeared for about a year but is now back, all of those and most of the other Ridgid tools have always been on display at the HD's here. I think it has more to do with the local managers sometimes as to whether or not to display certain products than it does with whether or not HD or Ridgid is listening to us.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I agree - seems to also depend on the size of the store as well.....larger stores I've been in have better displays. Then again, sometimes prodesk staff have no idea about flyer promos regardless of the size of the store.

Also, tons of stuff is hidden in overhead bins...........
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I know its a bit of a pipe dream to think they are now on display due to rumblings here but I still found it interesting. I have been going to this particular HD for at least 7 years and in recent memory (3+ years) I have never seen any of those three displayed before. I wonder why they decided to do it now?

Comment

Could have to do with your receipt surveys too. In another thread a couple of the guys who worked for the Home Depot said that the store manager's manager actually reads them. I've commented on it positively in the stores that I've seen the displays and negatively in the stores that don't. Maybe if others have done the same thing it could have an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            Could have to do with your receipt surveys too. In another thread a couple of the guys who worked for the Home Depot said that the store manager's manager actually reads them. I've commented on it positively in the stores that I've seen the displays and negatively in the stores that don't. Maybe if others have done the same thing it could have an impact.
            I hadnt thought of that - I actually did do that survey about two weeks ago. And about two months ago I did mention to an employee in the tools section thats its hard to make a decision to buy a big tool without being able to physically touch and see it.

It would be nice to think my voice has any influence, now if it would only work with my wife as well.

Comment

After buying the 3660, sight unseen..and untouched...and a few other goodies I have seen on here (good prices), I went sniffing around to get the then on sale MSUV only a week or so later, and viola...there were quite a few things on display..so, maybe someone is paying attention.

Comment

Here is a little insight from someone who was on the inside for 18 years. Merchandising at HD has changed dramatically over the past 5 years. With few exceptions, store management has very little input as what is displayed, and how it is displayed. Those shots are called from Atlanta through Local Regional Merchandising Managers. If you go into a store that still has all the "large" power tools ( 3650/60) etc, you have a safe bet that the store manager there is out to make his store money, and have products displayed that help sell it. All this they are doing despite the demands from Atlanta and the RMMs. I know several managers that stay in hot water because they do what they feel necessary to make money and keep customers. Each store receives a "book" each month that tells them what goes where, what to merchandise on endcaps, how to set up displays, and how long it is to be there. I fell into the catagory of doing what was best for the store and the customer, and if it happened to meet HD corporate guidelines, so much the better, but generally they did not, but we made plan consistantly. I finally got tired of trying to explain why I was making money by doing what good businesses have done for years. We gave the customer what they wanted, at a fair price, and did not keep it from them. In other words, do not hide what sells because some other manufacturer with a lesser product cut a better deal ( money) to get it displayed. In most cases, do not blame the store management, they are keeping their jobs by walking a merchandising line set by people 100's of miles away from their market.
                Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

Working...
                X