X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calculating board feet

ok working on a prject that has many sizes to cut, working out what is required in board feet I come to 10feet by 7 feet od 2 inch maple for the project,

note that i am very noobie at figuring this out

some pieces are to be rather thick so figured to bluid them up 2 1/4 x 3

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...61.html?page=1

this is what I am working on

how to know how much lumber to purchase
    §m€llŸ™

Re: calculating board feet

I don't know how you figured your sizes, but a board foot is 12" wide by 12" long by 1" thick. So, if you need 10' x 7' x 2" thick, you would need 140 board feet. HTH
    Jim

Comment

ok what would the average price of regular maple be .
      there is a sawmill about 20 miuntes drive from where I am. I know they do lumbeer like that. but havent been there yet . just trying to be less noobie

noobies rule the world.... look at iran......they mamaged to blow up one of there own churchs the other day.

P.s. my two cents worth of world politics
      §m€llŸ™

Comment

140 board sounds about right. I was looking to build a bench almost identical to that one and came up with something close to that number. Then I realized what the wood was going to cost . That much maple is not cheap. Instead I might build the base out of 2x4's and then use mdf for the top (the plans I have suggested this instead of the maple to save money).

Do a google seach on lumber calculators and you should be able to find sites that take dimensional lumber and convert to board feet. Or some online lumber dealers have calculators on thier sites, thats what I did.

Comment

Going by the cut list, you are going to need about 20bf of 12/4 lumber, 70bf of 8/4 and a couple bf of 5/4. (that is finished, milled, etd.) However, you can figure 20% scrap buying rough lumber, and another 10% because the cut-offs won't be the right size or grain orientation. 140 is probably a pretty good estimate. If the boards are premium quality, acclimatize in your shop with little warp and twist, and are the optimum width to give you as little scrap as possible, you may eke out with 125.
          I built my bench (24" x 60") out of white oak (top, vise, aprons, etc) and used SYP (southern yellow pine I milled from construction grade 2 x 8s). The base is plenty solid. If cost is an issue, the base does not have to be premium wood, just solid, and it uses a lot of board feet (about 1/3 of the total). I would not use construction grade fir. Go wide enough boards to at least get yellow pine. If you go that route, figure in 40% waste out of the construction grade lumber, because it has already been milled once (a 2 x 8 is actually 1 3/4 x 7+) but it will also be warped and twisted, so will lose more getting it flat and square. If you can hand pick your boards, pick the ones closest to quarter sawn (the growth rings run top to bottom) for the least warpage.

JMHO

Go
          Last edited by Gofor; 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

yeah, thoses sujestions I will take into consideration.... bottom made of pine,etc

§m€llŸ™

Comment

I had some parallam beams left over on one of my sites and decided to see if I could use them. i built 2 items out of them. A work bench and a card table. I have to dig up the pics of the work bench but I found some of the card table which I am using as a meeting table in my site office. This is a very stable product and a lot cheaper than using solid wood (oriented plywood). As I got this material for next to nothing it wasn't a big investment other than time to try it out. I was impressed with the end result. I cut the top of the work bench 4" thick and used 5" lockable wheels for mobility. It glides around my shop and when the wheels are locked I can do anything I want on this bench. I have included some pics of the card table and will try and dig out the pics of the work bench.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thats a great idea, I have always thought the 'grain' pattern in paralam looked interesting and wondered how it would look on a project, thanks for the pics

Comment

Popular Mechanics has some fantastic woodworking plans on their website. That bench is one of them. I like the bedroom furniture ones they have as well.

I myself was considering taking a swing at that bench, but I'm just starting out and making an error on something that expensive would end up being costly. Unsure exactly how much web surfing you do but you may want to take a look at www.workbenchdesign.net. They've got a ton of free plans which vary in difficulty level.

I decided on the bench from June 14, 2006. Tom Caspar's wonderful "$250 Workbench" plan is back. From the October 2001 issue of American Woodworker. It's got all the vices, and uses 2 by material for the body of it, and some plywood for the top. Granted things could be swapped out. Unfortunately the internet wayback machine no longer has the plans online, or at least if they did they moved or I would've linked them

Anyway good luck with your project.

Comment

I built this bench and like it a lot. Very sturdy and only cost about 130.00
                    Attached Files

Comment

I dug up the pics of my shop table made from the parallam. I have attached them. I left the center piece of birch ply loose so that i had the option to use it for off size and shape pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b3b483fb508f10dbf9d2589cb885d418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	3094

Name:	6c9b73bc484d9c3988b128cb702f8b1f.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	3095

Name:	bc6ffdbb05fa391a37890693d3eda58b.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	3096

Comment

Nice bench, what did you make with the purple heart in the vice?

Comment

The bench and card table look great! How did you finish the parallam?

Also (also being a noobie!!) is parallam expensive? I'd be looking to do the same thing- make a benchtop out of it, but don't know if it's worth the cost?

Comment

Originally posted by CCusson View Post
                            The bench and card table look great! How did you finish the parallam?

Also (also being a noobie!!) is parallam expensive? I'd be looking to do the same thing- make a benchtop out of it, but don't know if it's worth the cost?
                            I used a flooring finsh called Diamond something. Sorry it was a long time ago. It was a latex finish and has stood up quite well. I looked up my cost spreadsheet from 2 years ago (the last time I bought some for a project) a 1.75" x 9.5" x 12' long piece cost $41.88. Top legs and framing were all made of the parralam.
                            Last edited by Faboo; 04-17-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                              Nice bench, what did you make with the purple heart in the vice?
                              A coffee table for my daughter. Frame was purple heart with a birch top that I inset with 2 pieces of slate tile. The tile was for texture as my daughter is blind I wanted the table to have some tactile qualites to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X