Machine screw size for Groz 9" quick release WW vise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine screw size for Groz 9" quick release WW vise

Could someone please tell me if they know the correct machine screw size and thread for securing the wooden face to the rear jaw. It is for the Groz 9" Quick Release WW vise. I tried the 1/4" machine screw and it did not fit, so I am thinking that it is a metric size probably M8. But not sure it would be a 1.0 or 1.25 thread pitch. It did not come with instructions and I do not want to go pay $10 for pack of 10 screws just to try it out.

Re: Machine screw size for Groz 9" quick release WW vise

Checked my Record and the holes are not threaded.
    Do you have a tap and die set? you could use a tap to determine the size
    Try contacting Groz

Comment

I already contacted Groz but I still have not heard from them. I bought some M8 screws but still did not fit. So after measuring the opening with a micrometer, it looks to be an M7. Either I'll wait another day for email back from Groz or try again with the screws.

Comment

Well I just came back from Cdn Tire, M7 screw does not exist so I tried M6 size and too small. I give up .... my only guess is that it could be a 5/16" screw but being that is a Groz brand it has to be metric.

Comment

I have an M7 1.0 tap and die in my CTC set so it must exist.

Comment

I called place like Bolts Plus, and Fastenal ... the don't carry that size. I called Brafasco but I would have to drive to Burlington to get it.

I'll just leave the wood face floating for now until I find a source.

Comment

Brafasco has lots of locations, Pickering as well, maybe they could order it for you

Comment

At Highlandhardware.com is an instructionpage for mounting Groz vises:
                http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=135
                This image shows the screws going through the back jaw into the wood liner.

I recall reading at some vise retailers website that the threaded holes in typical bench vises were not any common thread that you could find in a hardware store...they're some oddball industrial machine thread.

I have a Bessey and the rear jaw holes are not threaded. I used flat head screws through the rear jaw liner, through the holes, and into the bench apron. I don't know why these vises are not made so that jaw liners can be easily attached, but it seems to be common.

Comment

After looking at the diagram, I think I messed up. I have been trying to enter the machine screw from the front of the rear jaw instead of behind the rear jaw. I have always seen pics of the machine screw flush mounted below the surface of the wood face in front of the rear jaw. The rear jaw is usually installed as part of the table top edging. The problem is that now the vise is already mounted to the bench top. I don't want to remove it. Also the bench top is already secured to the bench.

Also, I just remembered that when looking at the opening, I don't see any threads visible at the entry point. So then maybe it confirms that the screw has to enter behind the rear of the jaw.
                  Last edited by dieselgg; 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I think if you could get some dowel centers, or something else pointy that would fit in the rear holes, then place your jaw liner in the vise and tighten it. You would then have indentations in the jaw liner, which you would drill holes through. Then you could insert wood screws through the liner, through the holes in the jaw, and into the wood of your bench.

You will have to select wood screws slight smaller than the holes in the jaw.

Comment

I just ended up drilling wood screws into the jaw liner through the rear jaw threads and into the spacer blocks. Everything is fine now.

There was no point dismantling the vise just to match up machine screws to the threads.

Comment

Working...
                      X