X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 Safety

I have recently purchased a TS2400 saw. Its great. It replaced an old (50 yrs +) Sear cast iron saw which finally became too awkward for and old man to handle.

I think there is a small safety issue with this saw. I am right handed and have a hard time turning off after making a pass (as suggested in the handbook) while also hanging on to the miter gauge or workpeice still on the deck.

Anybody else right handed?

Re: TS2400 Safety

You're a retired architect, although engineers are more noted for this, so you should understand that if it's written in the specs it must be able to be accomplished easily.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I hold on to the miter gauge with my right hand, while using my left hand to hit the switch. But then I am a retired engineer and we are noted for doing things the hard way.
      Dick

Comment

The switch is the worst I have ever seen on a table saw. I have had mine 2 years now and still have trouble finding it.
        Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Originally posted by jfacteau View Post
          The switch is the worst I have ever seen on a table saw. I have had mine 2 years now and still have trouble finding it.
          I agree! .....I am thinking of one of these.
          Safety Power Tool Switch

Comment

I've actually been considering doing the same thing (Rockler Switch) with my Ryobi BT3100 which also has the standard switch located under the rails on the right-hand side.

I just hate having to bend over to hit the switch, as it places my face just about level with the table surface.

I'm considering the purchase of another Rockler Switch (I already have one on my router table...works great) and mounting it on a stand that I can place at any convenient position and use it with whatever tool I'm using at the time.

CWS

Comment

Another retired engineer here.

Yeah, the location and size of the power switch could have been better. I also have a Rockler safety switch that I use with my router table that would probably work with the table saw if I felt I needed it.

The key is, do you think you can operate the table saw safely as is or do you feel a relocation of a power shutoff switch is required. Injuries will take all the fun out of the hobby and is never worth it. And it can't be hard to rig up a power shut off that makes you feel comfortable.

Always think safety first -

Comment

Originally posted by jbdstlu View Post
                I have recently purchased a TS2400 saw. Its great. It replaced an old (50 yrs +) Sear cast iron saw which finally became too awkward for and old man to handle.

I think there is a small safety issue with this saw. I am right handed and have a hard time turning off after making a pass (as suggested in the handbook) while also hanging on to the miter gauge or workpeice still on the deck.

Anybody else right handed?
                I don't think it makes a difference if you are right or left-handed. I am a lefty and would find the switch location a PITA if I had the TS2400. I don't have that TS I have the TS-3650. My TS lets you decided where to hang the switch off the front rail so you can customize it to fit your needs, that's not possible on a TS like the 2400 with the switch located in the cabinet unfortunately.

I think you have brought up a valid concern that hopefully RIDGID will try to address in future models.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X