X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax for the TS/BS/Jointer tops?

I have a slight rust problem with my Ridgid tool tops and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the type and brand of wax they use to keep their tops looking so good? I have the usual cup rings, etc. on mine so it will not look as pristine as some of the ones I have seen here and over at the WoodNet, but I would still liek to get mine back to something close to the original finish. Any advice/ brands / help is appreciated....

Re: Wax for the TS/BS/Jointer tops?

WD40 and steel wool should make quick work of cleaning up those rust areas. After that Johnson's Paste Wax will do a fair job at preventing future rust. Awhile back WOOD Magazine had an article on rust prevention and removal. Paste wax was actually rated very poorly for rust prevention. Products like Bostik TopCote and Boeshield T9 do a much better job of rust prevention.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43415,43440

§m€llŸ™

Comment

This explains it all:

Dave's Dirty Dozen

1. Scrape as much of the sludge as you can off with cardboard from the shipping container or a plastic scraper.

2. Use Simple Green right out of the container and tons of paper towels to get the rest off.

3. Wash off the Simple Green with more paper towels and clear water. Dry off with even more paper towels.

4. Spray the top down liberally with WD40. The WD in WD40 stands for Water Displacing, by the way.

5. Take a finishing sander, like a Porter-Cable 330, and put it on a ScotchBrite green pad. A random orbital sander will work, but makes a hell of a mess.

6. Sand the top evenly until you feel like you've "massaged" the WD40 in very well. This also will knock some sharp spots off your top, a good thing.

7. Take even more paper towels, and wipe the top until dry. It will feel slightly oily.

8. Using a quality furniture paste wax (Johnson's, Minwax, Butcher's, whatever is available in your area), wax the top thoroughly and allow to dry.
        Do NOT use automobile wax or ANY wax that contains silicone!

9. Wipe off the bulk of the excess wax with paper towels.

10. Wax it again.

11. Buff well with paper towels.

12. Last step. Take a piece of wood with straight edges, and rub the surface of the saw in the direction of cut with the wood, as though you were cross-cutting it. It's a damn sight more steps than "wash off with kerosene", which is what all the manuals say, but it leaves a top that is seriously ready for work, and won't need to be screwed with every couple months. I rewax my tops every year or two, and they ain't rusty...

Dave Arbuckle

davearbuckle@hotmail.com

Many thanks to Bri G at WoodNet, who had the presence of mind to save this, when I didn't ;-)
        Last edited by acemery; 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM.
        America:
        The land of the free
        Because of the brave

Comment

I've always used Johnson's paste wax on all the tool tops. My shame is I wax the tool tables far more often than the dining table!! I'm sure my husband finds that ironic at the very least.

The other day, I was helping a neighbor to make a sandbox for his kids out of some old PT lumber that had been left out and had mud all over it. He brought the pieces to my shop and placed them on the top of my 3650. I didn't realize there was mud on them until a day later when I went to start working on them. The mud had rusted the heck out of the top of the saw! I found some Boeshield we have for cleaning guns (great stuff), and used that with a green kitchen scrubbie pad. It worked great!! The rust came out, and you'd never know now that there was rust there. I worked in the Boeshield with the scrubbie pad and wiped/buffed it with paper towels. I haven't recoated it with wax, and it seems to be fine. I think Johnson's is less expensive than Boeshield, but the paste wax won't clean off the rust.

Thanks, Acemery, for posting the 12 tips to a great saw top. That's the best method to follow. I find that recoating with wax every year or so has worked well for me. Just don't let your friends put muddy things on your tool tables!!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
          X