X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection system

Hey guys,

Been a while since I last posted...

I was doing some spring cleaning in the woodshop/garage last night and my wife came out and said, "Is there anything you can do to control the dust?"

In my head, that translated in buying a new dust collection system. I need to keep it at a reasonable cost. Any suggestions?

BTW... just about done with my latest project, a 12.5" telescope. I used MDF this time around which is really dusty!!

Jason Hissong
    "A long journey starts with the first step and an understanding spouse."

Re: Dust collection system

well what about a pic?
    §m€llŸ™

Comment

Ok,

Here ya go! I have been working on it off and on since September. It is my second telescope. My first telescope is an 8" ballscope that I made a couple years ago.

This picture is not the finished product as I built a new mount for it since it was taken. Plus some other additions.

More pictures at http://www.undermidnight.com/images/12_5_ballscope/

Jason
      Attached Files

Comment

Undermidnight, a little more info would be nice. Are you planning to run dust collection piping to multiple tools or will you be hooking up to one tool at a time?
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Hi Dave,

One tool at a time, don't need to spend too much right now. I can possibly just run the wet/dry vac to some of the dust ports so that would probably be the cheapest way to do it.

Jason

Comment

Actually, a shop vac will work for some tools but overall they make poor dust collectors. Tools like a jointer and planer don't do very well as far as dust collection is concerned when hooked to a shop vac.

For not a whole lot of money more than a shop vac will run you could get the Harbor Freight Duct Collector. It regularly goes on sale for around $169. If you have a Harbor Freight retail store close by you could also use one of the 10% off coupons that always seem to be floating around. The one downside to the HF DC are the OEM bags that come with it. They're rated at 30 microns and you really should have some that are rated at 5 microns or less in order to collect that really fine sawdust. I replaced the top bag on my unit with one I got from Grizzly for around $20 IIRC. For the bottom bag, I use one of the clear plastic bags that Woodworker's Supply sells.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

A dedicated dust collector, or even a shop vac, with noted exceptions mentioned by BadgerDave, will capture chips and sawdust from tools in use, plenty of dust still becomes airborne.

The only solution for airborne dust is an air filtration system unfortunately.

---Mike

Comment

I too had a simmilar request from my wife ( A.K.A. SHMBO). Which I also heard as "Ok, buy dust collection."

I am looking at the Penn State Ind. DC2000B. It was one of the top 3 in Wood Magazines Shop Test article in March 2008 issue. PennStateInd (www.PennStateInd.com) has them on sale @ $259.95 plus S&H. It also includes 50 feet of flexible duct. I think the sale runs to the end of May.

The only draw back (for my situation) is, it comes wired for 220V. I have not checke dto see if it can also be wired for 120V.

I hope SHMBO remembers she "told me" to buy a dust collector, when I go to order it.

Comment

Originally posted by gchalin View Post
                  I too had a simmilar request from my wife ( A.K.A. SHMBO). Which I also heard as "Ok, buy dust collection."

I am looking at the Penn State Ind. DC2000B. It was one of the top 3 in Wood Magazines Shop Test article in March 2008 issue. PennStateInd (www.PennStateInd.com) has them on sale @ $259.95 plus S&H. It also includes 50 feet of flexible duct. I think the sale runs to the end of May.

The only draw back (for my situation) is, it comes wired for 220V. I have not checke dto see if it can also be wired for 120V.

I hope SHMBO remembers she "told me" to buy a dust collector, when I go to order it.

The 50' of flex hose will hold you for a while but if you decide to do a permanent connection to several machines at once you will want to use rigid piping. S&D seems to be preferred for cost and weight issues, PVC for those of us who didn't know better and metal for the 'elitists' who prefer form as well as function. There's a lot to be read up on so do a search here - on all of the woodworking forums - as well as the 'make your head explode' website by Bill Pentz. There's no point in me repeating it all here. It's one of those topics that begs you to know more and more and, if you're at all like me, you become frozen in indecision. I had to kick myself past it and just go for it. I left all of my connections unglued and it's good that I did because I still find myself playing with different connections. Best of luck (PS the ducting will cost as much as the DC ) !
                  Last edited by ironhat; 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Later,
                  Chiz
                  https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

Working...
                  X