X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid BS Motor UPGRADE?

I'm looking to Upgrade the 3/4HP motor on my BS, and was wondering if anyone else has done the same?

It just does not have enough power to cut out Turning blanks, I just bought myself the Powermatic 3520B Lathe and want to cut wet logs(Green) for larger bowl blanks.

If anyone has done a motor upgrade in HP what motor did you buy and was it a EASY swap out?

I'd like to make this as simple as possible and use the stock pully, 1-1/2-2HP should do me OK I do have 220 in the shop.

Thanks

Re: Ridgid BS Motor UPGRADE?

No one has upgraded their Band Saw motor?

With the 3/4HP it just stalls trying to cut 1/2 logs into rounds for woodturning blanks.

I'd like to use a 1-1/2 HP motor but not sure exactly what motor to get.

Any help, ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

I would call Ridgid Tech Support and ask them. My feeling is that the saw wasn't designed to handle a motor that big. I'm not sure what a motor like would run you but I'm thinking that it would be expensive. You'd probably be better off to try and sell the Ridgid and buy something like the Griz G0555X.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by American and Proud View Post
        No one has upgraded their Band Saw motor?

With the 3/4HP it just stalls trying to cut 1/2 logs into rounds for woodturning blanks.

I'd like to use a 1-1/2 HP motor but not sure exactly what motor to get.

Any help, ideas?

Thanks.

Its not a big deal. Just bring the motor to a electric supply co. and let them match up a 1-1 1/2 hp. motor with a simular mounting flange, shaft diameter, and rpm range. There are hundreds of simular motors out there to choose from. You might have to do a little drilling or filing here and there. Nice thing about the ridgid is, its mounted to the stand and gives you alot of options to play around with.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'm sure Ridgid will say it's not designed for such a motor, but I really need more power and I have put alot of time and money into this BS to get it were it is at now.

Trent Bosch a woodturner has a plain old Delta 14" BS with a riser and he has run it for many years with a larger motor without problems.( He talks about it in one of his woodturning DVD's)

IF I do add a larger motor, I'm not too worried about the warranty. If I sold it, the warranty wouldnt go to the new owner anyways.
          With the riser I am fine height wise I really just need more power to cut through wet wood for turning blanks.
          Bearings are a standard item that I can get locally if ever needed, I'm not doing "production" work with it.

The 3/4 HP motor just bogs down and can easily be stopped while cutting blanks.
          I have cool blocks,the link belt, plywood to stiffen up the base under the saw and on the lower brackets, did all the tuneup BS stuff to get it running Nickel smooth, Timberwolf blades, added a Kreg BS Fence,
          I really just Need the added power of more HP.

Comment

i dont see how it could be "designed" for a particular hp motor. i mean sure putting a 10 horse motor on the thing might blow the wheels off but i dont think stepping up to a 1 or 2 hp motor will hurt anything. probably an excellent idea if you can get the motor cheap enough

Comment

Hey A and P, let us know how you make out with this project, please. There are others who would like to make an upgrade. I was thinking more like one HP but haven't figured out how to do it on the cheap.
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

Well, as an update to my lack of HP problem.(enough for general flatwork WW)

I was on the fence to do an upgraded motor to my Ridgid BS when this past Friday I saw a "Swap N sell" post on the WoodNet forums for a Grizzly G0513 - 17" 2HP 2 speed BS.

I posted a few Questions about the BS before going to look at it on Saturday morning. And all were very Positive about this BS.

I took my chain saw and cut a few Green(WET) walnut logs in half and brought them along with me to make sure it would fullfill my needs.
                I was impressed, it cut through them like a hot knife going through butter, room temp butter in fact.

The saw is Less than 2 years old, the seller decided he didn't have the time for WW at this stage in his life. The BS looks like NEW.
                If I bought it NEW it would have cost me $928.65 with the mobile base and delivery.

Seller was asking $550.00 and I haggled and got it for $450.00 with 2 Timberwolf blades also. So I saved well over $478.00 not counting the Timberwolfs.

The Motor upgrade route would have cost me in the $300.00 range for a New motor.
                Plus now I'm working on a deal with someone else in Trading the Ridgid BS for a 18"X36" Drum Sander.
                I'm waiting for him to send me Pics of his drum sander.

I'm working on hooking up the two 4" dust collection ports on the BS now , still need to hookup the Metal JDS Automatic Blast Gate,I forgot I still had a few extras laying around the shop.

I really NEEDED the extra HP for cutting green wood bowl blanks for my new Powermatic 3520B Lathe.

All in all I think I did real well .
                Heres a few pics .

So, I believe my problem has been Solved.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  .............You'd probably be better off to try and sell the Ridgid and buy something like the Griz G0555X.
                  Or, a Grizzly G0513. Excellent deal by the way.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Powermatic 3520B Wood Lathe info - A workhorse for sure.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm3520brvu.html

Comment

Thanks Dave,
                      I was planning on doing the motor upgrade , was just sitting on the fence with it until I HAD to do it.

The G0513 popped up and after asking questions and reading reviews of owners it was pretty much a no brainer to grab it.

I like my Rigid BS for flat work stuff but with cutting my own blanks I HAD to have more HP. I'd keep it IF I had the room, I don't and someone is looking to trade a 18x36 Delta drum sander for a BS , so I may be trading it, depends on the model # and the reviews I can find on it, still waiting on more info from the guy.
                      Last edited by American and Proud; 05-12-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Woussko,
                        It sure is a workhorse.

Comment

Working...
                        X