Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

Originally posted by ironhat View Post
    Harley and cellardoor, you guys are certainly exceptional employees for HD! It's things like polishing up tables and paying attention to displays that push up sales. Ours is **not** that way. I wish! Good on you guys!!
    Yea, the larger power tools that are displayed at one of the stores close to me are filthy and missing parts...of course that also describes many of the employees there as well....
    Last edited by mike65072; 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
      but if you shop around, Ridgid can be had from other 'professional' distributors.

George
      Hmmm, I read your referenced article, seems that their expectations of 2003 of having the WW tools in professional tool houses hasn't come to fruition, at least not that I've ever encountered. I'd be interested in knowing where any of the WW tools could be purchased outside of the HD just for curiosity.
      sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

I live in the Atlanta area, and there are (according to the web) 20 stores within 50 miles of me. I have been to at least a dozen of them - all within a 30 minute drive (2 within 5 mins) so I guess I get spoiled.

HOWEVER, when I was looking for something hard-to-find (special tile for a kitchen wall - my wife had something picked out. my mission: find it) recently we ended up going to 11 of them. Two had the TS3650 set up and several displayed the portable table saw. Several had other stationary tools only in boxes - except CMS's of course. I saw not one jointer (which I was looking for) - neither Ridgid nor anybody else's, and set up or in box. Interestingly, BOTH of the 3650's had their tops waxed and looked great.

Interestingly this is contrast to the 3 Lowes near me - all 3 have both Delta and Hitachi saws and jointers set up on display. The difference is that at all 3 stores the tops are already rusted to varying degrees, and several have clearly had liquids spilled onto/into them (and not cleaned up properly). FWIW the HD's with displays are near Lowes which have displays. I wonder whether competition has anything to do with it?

Because of where I live and the number of HD's here, I guess I get spoiled. But I do wish that Ridgid were available at other stores, too.

Comment

I got a 3650 about a month ago from neighborhood HD. The floor model was in disgraceful condition. After 30+ minutes of searching, I was sent to another location to get carton 2 of 2 (the rails). I'm not sure if it is a Ridgid problem or an HD problem.

Bigger concern was Ridgid assembly book's rather murky instructions. Still don't have the table pieces aligned the way I want.

I'm just getting started in WW; are all my purchases going to be like this?

Comment

Originally posted by pskcmo View Post
            I got a 3650 about a month ago from neighborhood HD. The floor model was in disgraceful condition. After 30+ minutes of searching, I was sent to another location to get carton 2 of 2 (the rails). I'm not sure if it is a Ridgid problem or an HD problem.

Bigger concern was Ridgid assembly book's rather murky instructions. Still don't have the table pieces aligned the way I want.

I'm just getting started in WW; are all my purchases going to be like this?
            I think the rails are HDs fault. My HD had the same problem when I went to buy mine. At least RIDGID fixed that in the 3660. They need to get RFID or some other better way to track inventory.

I thought the instructions were pretty darn good, and really liked the bubble packed screws. The only thing I didn't like was herculift, I thought those instructions were terrible. Josh should setup a 3650 instruction Wiki so that collaboratively we can get something better, and RIDGID could even take the best parts into account for the next manual.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              They need to get RFID or some other better way to track inventory.
              You got that right, HD's inventory system is based on a 10 year old or older main frame/pc system. It's a patch work of main frame programs and server run pc programs. To simply check an item I have to log onto the computer, then select "store system" and log on to it, then select that I'm an associate and log on the system again with my ID and pass word. If I leave the screen up and don't return in a few minutes it logs itself off. It's a real PIA.

The system can only tell me that I'm suppose to have x number on hand and not where they are stored or located. The only RFID's in the store are in receiving.

Comment

HARLEY...in our bar coded, computer driven world, has HD ever thought about barcoding the overhead bays? then, by scanning the bay and scanning the stuff put in the bay, a system could know where the s*** is. we do this is the dry cleaning industry to keep track of inventory.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                  HARLEY...in our bar coded, computer driven world, has HD ever thought about barcoding the overhead bays? then, by scanning the bay and scanning the stuff put in the bay, a system could know where the s*** is. we do this is the dry cleaning industry to keep track of inventory.
                  All of the bays are bar coded it's just that the mainframe program is not setup for locations. They were supposed to have had a program ready this past year before inventory that would have cataloged all of the items in the overhead. We had to install barcode tags on all of the items in the overhead but then the program never materialized. Again the problem is old technology and outdated equipment.

In today's economics situation I don't foresee any changes since according to news reports HD is going to pull back on opening new stores.

Comment

While Rigid may not be the absolute best tools available, and may primarily be sold at HD, do not let the fact that the HD merchandising strategy is in the toilet, make you think they are junk, they are not. For the price point you cannot beat them. If you are earning a living building cabinets etc, then we are not talking apples and apples. HDs stupidity in merchandising has no bearing on the quality of Rigid products.
                    Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

In the eastern Massachusetts/ southern New Hampshire area there are many Home Depots. None of them have samples any more of the larger tools (tablesaws, bandsaw, drill presses, jointer) assembled and on display. There are only boxed, unassembled items on the shelves. It's a shame that customers can no longer see and feel the tools, because they are actually of fine quality. I think that Home Depot management is making a big mistake in the places where the Tool Corral no longer shows off the big tools. Maybe they are big tools.
                      Joe Spear

Comment

Working...
                      X