Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

    I'm a bit leary of the future of Ridgid's line of WW machines given the lackluster or absolute removal of the machines from HD stores. How are folks supposed to comparison shop for an important expenditure like this? I bought my 3650 (bad arbor) based on how the saw looked, felt and moved on those casters which were very important to my small shop. As I stated one other time, It would be worth Ridgid or HDs while to place these machines on a revolvable 'merry-go-round' so that you could have someone cycle the desired machine to floor level for your inspection. I guess that that would be a major expense, though, and floor space is precious to them. JAT... again.
    later,
    Chiz
    Last edited by ironhat; 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM.
    Later,
    Chiz

  • #2
    Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

    There's been a lot of talk about how the floor model selection in the Tool Corral is dwindling. I haven't noticed anything of the sort in my area though. When I say my area I go to about 10 different Home Depots and they are in about a 100 mile diameter from where I live (different markets, different selection). All of them still have a good amount of models to look at, the TS3660, TS24010LS, BS1400, R4330 (not located with the others due to the lack of a stand), DP1550 and other non-ridgid models. The JP0610 is only in a few though. I see why it would be frustrating but how many area's is this really a problem? I think its also been mentioned that this isn't something Ridgid said but rather the local HD managers ruling.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

      I have 2 HD store close to me, one displays most of the larger tools and the other displays none of them. They both have them in stock, but I bought my TS2400LS from the store where I could actually see/touch the saw.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

        Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
        There's been a lot of talk about how the floor model selection in the Tool Corral is dwindling. I haven't noticed anything of the sort in my area though. When I say my area I go to about 10 different Home Depots and they are in about a 100 mile diameter from where I live (different markets, different selection). All of them still have a good amount of models to look at, the TS3660, TS24010LS, BS1400, R4330 (not located with the others due to the lack of a stand), DP1550 and other non-ridgid models. The JP0610 is only in a few though. I see why it would be frustrating but how many area's is this really a problem? I think its also been mentioned that this isn't something Ridgid said but rather the local HD managers ruling.
        Hmmm, maybe it is a local thing, then. We only have one HD and it's probably close to 100 miles to the next one - always the perpetual rumor that another is coming to our area.

        Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
        I have 2 HD store close to me, one displays most of the larger tools and the other displays none of them. They both have them in stock, but I bought my TS2400LS from the store where I could actually see/touch the saw.
        We have one lonely, beat up looking BS1401 in our store and occassionally, if there's a sale on, a 3660, assembled but on a skid sitting in an incovenient place. You can tell that it feels out of place.
        Later,
        Chiz

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

          Ironhat

          Please see the following info regarding locations of The Home Depot in your area. I centered this based on Gettysburg, PA and hope it may be helpful to you and others in the Central PA area.
          http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...e_2=100&store=
          Last edited by Woussko; 04-22-2008, 04:17 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

            Thanks, woussko. There's one within 45 minutes of me (besides the close one). Still, too far for this dilapidated back. Thanks for doing the leg work that I should have had the sense to do in the first place.
            Later,
            Chiz

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

              We are a one of the smaller HD stores and we have the TS3660, Drill Press, Joiner, band saw and the TS2400. I have not heard anything from management about getting rid of the displays. We just assembled the TS3660 last week. I got industrious and polished the table with some Johnson Paste wax. While I was at it, I cleaned and polished the table on the bandsaw, drill press and joiner. Took some elbow grease to do it, but now everyone has to touch them when they walk by. Guess it'll be a weekly event to wax them now.
              sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                Originally posted by harley130 View Post
                Took some elbow grease to do it, but now everyone has to touch them when they walk by. Guess it'll be a weekly event to wax them now.
                Thats where you went wrong, polishing the tools. I first did this a couple of years ago and can't go a week without it bugging me to touch it up
                . It sure does help sell them though nice and shiny like. I still have the 3650 assembled but we JUST got our 3660's in so maybe this week I'll get that together and see if I can get our 3650 out the door with some sort of discount.

                Unfortunately we have lost our tool showroom to fricken air conditioners for the summer (don't get me started on how pissed I was when I found that out) but I managed to get all our displays fit temporarily around the department so it isn't a total loss and the customers still have access to all the stationary tools even though they are not in one convenient location for the time being.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                  Harley and cellardoor, you guys are certainly exceptional employees for HD! It's things like polishing up tables and paying attention to displays that push up sales. Ours is **not** that way. I wish! Good on you guys!!
                  Later,
                  Chiz

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                    What I have noticed the most about my HD and the display of the woodworking equipment is that at one time everything was on one aisle cramped together. Now they are all out in an open area up at the front of the store. I can honestly walk around the floor models now and look each over carefully. I like it much better. The only thing for me would be for the HD manager to make sure these tools are put together correctly and as one of our members stated clean and polish them. I know everyone comes by and runs their hands all over them but for me I like to see that someone has taken some pride in their product. At my HD everyone of the Ridgid woodworking tools are out so that everyone can see them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                      I assume that everyone knows that there are 'some' traditional distributors that carry the Ridgid line. I know that they all do not carry the WW tools but: I did a look up ("Where To Buy" link at the top of the page and then click on "Traditional Distributors") and found 98 'traditional distributors' within 50 miles of my ZIP. I know that they all do not carry the WW line but maybe just one or two do. It might not hurt to try that route.

                      George

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                        Both of my local home depots have gotten rid of all the floor displays. It's a shame, as I will not buy a tool I can not feel and look over in person. No more Ridgid wood working tools for me.

                        Jeff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                          Originally posted by piette View Post
                          Both of my local home depots have gotten rid of all the floor displays. It's a shame, as I will not buy a tool I can not feel and look over in person. No more Ridgid wood working tools for me.

                          Jeff
                          Thats a shame, I'm assuming you're referring to both the Appleton stores judging by your location. I'd try either of the Green Bay stores or better yet the Fond du Lac store. I worked at the FDL store for about 2 1/2 years and tried to keep the dedicated tool showroom as clean as possible. I've only stopped in there once since I left in Aug. so I hope the upkeep has continued but I'd rather doubt it with the co-workers I left in the department.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                            Originally posted by gator View Post
                            I assume that everyone knows that there are 'some' traditional distributors that carry the Ridgid line. I know that they all do not carry the WW tools but: I did a look up ("Where To Buy" link at the top of the page and then click on "Traditional Distributors") and found 98 'traditional distributors' within 50 miles of my ZIP. I know that they all do not carry the WW line but maybe just one or two do. It might not hurt to try that route.

                            George
                            HD has the exclusive distribution rights to the Ridgid WW line for selling new tools at this time. There are other distributors that sell reconditioned/factory refurbished items I'm sure. Those units do not carry the LSA.
                            sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is anyone else nervous about Ridgid WW.

                              Originally posted by harley130 View Post
                              HD has the exclusive distribution rights to the Ridgid WW line for selling new tools at this time. There are other distributors that sell reconditioned/factory refurbished items I'm sure. Those units do not carry the LSA.
                              Perhaps you should read this article.

                              http://www.woodworking.com/article_a...5&article=1045

                              This is really, old news and not any recent development. I know HD would like for the public to think otherwise but if you shop around, Ridgid can be had from other 'professional' distributors.

                              George

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X