Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosscut using rip fence?

Folks,

I am trying to understand safe ways of cutting plywood sheets.

If the dimensions are large enough, is it safe to crosscut using the rip fence? I understand, when you have a 4 foot x 6 inch board, you can't do that...but what about a 4 feet x 2 feet board? Can I cross cut that using the rip fence? It seems too big (or unwieldy) to use the miter gauge for the cross cuts at these widths.

It seems to work....but want to learn from other's bruises for once

Cheers,
    Subbu

Re: Crosscut using rip fence?

as long as you dont use your miter gauge at the same time you should be ok

Comment

It depends, how much are you cutting off??? if it is 6" I would say that you are not cutting safe. If you are cutting it in half then as long as you are not using your miter gauge then just be careful. See other threads and make yourself a sled, you will need one.

Comment

In my opinion, your best bet would be to build a simple cross cut sled with a stop block, that rides in your miter gauge. Cheap, easy to build, accurate cuts, and most importantly, SAFE!!

Comment

You will be fine using the fence. Use a push tool to keep fingers away from the blade. You should not try to cut the short pieces off between the fence and the blade, eg. you have a 2' X 4' piece that you need to be 23" X 4' - set the fence at 23" not 1". Generally people run into kickback when a short cut off jams between the fence and blade. Always set the blade height about a tooth width higher than the thickness of the wood, never leave the blade at full height when cutting thinner wood. I generally do not rip anything less than 1' in length. I also tend to cut my sheets into rough dimensions with a skill saw instead of trying to muscle 4X8's around

Comment

Working...
          X