X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routers: Bosch vs. Craftsman

I have a chance to buy a Craftsman 2.25 hp model 26620 from a friend for $100.00. He says it is made by Bosch and is the exact same as the 1617EVS. The Craftsman comes with fixed and plunge base and case. Is this router every bit as good as the Bosch? Any input on pros and cons of these two would be appreciated!

Re: Routers: Bosch vs. Craftsman

It is the model 26620 which is essentially a clone of the Bosch 1617, and the parts are interchangeable. The only difference I know of is the sub-base. $100 is a great price.

Edit:
    Here's some pics that confirm my initial thought. I also remember reading a router review that claimed them to be identical too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f4548d084935de3c33151c994745113a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	3158 Click image for larger version

Name:	7f99d378de4977eb0433b3d03bd3a4f7.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	3159
    Last edited by hewood; 04-23-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

You may like to check out Routerforums.com, a lot of +ve feedback on Craftman router .. but I believe they prefer the 2 HP over the 2 1/4 model.. may be it's just more cost effective (for new).

Comment

The older cratfsman models were made by bosch. They switched to some other manufacturer fairly recently though. Take a good look at it and compare it to the 1617. It should look exactly the same except for the color.

Comment

If you can look at the data plate on it to see where it was made. Not all Bosch tools are made in Switzerland. Some come from PRC.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
            The older cratfsman models were made by bosch. They switched to some other manufacturer fairly recently though. Take a good look at it and compare it to the 1617. It should look exactly the same except for the color.

You've got to be careful, there were quite a few Craftsman routers made by Ryobi. There's a list somewhere (can't put my fingers on it at the moment) which tells the manufacturing source based on the first three digits of the model number. I have no doubt that the router model in question was made by Bosch, as verified by the other posts; and, I believe one of the current models is made by an independant company in China. Many of the older model routers were made by a variety of manufacturers of which I believe Ryobi was a main supplier. I have a router built in the late 70's that was made by Ryobi.

CWS

Comment

They have several models most probably built by different people but thats why I said to closely compare it to the Bosch. If it is the Bosch made version it will look exactly like a 1617 except it's red. I think it sold as the Craftsman Professional Router.

I know the list you're refering to. I had it buried in my favorites somewhere but it doesn't appear to be working anymore. It is in the links at the bottom of this page. http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=222 Maybe the list is available at some other page but it's hard to find.

Comment

The Craftsman 26620 set is essentially the same as the Bosch 1617, except, as somebody already said, for the color and one of the base plates. Sears no longer has that model. I got one of the last ones in my area a few months ago for a close-out price of $117.
                Joe Spear

Comment

I Have the CM and it is different in the base[uses the odd CM bushings not the PC or Bosch type], and it has a wrench for the fixed base so you can adjust the height from above the router table.
                  I think WOOD mag picked it as the best kit at the time, I paid about $100 on the closeout sale. Typical sears now, drop an excellent product for a cheaper made in China tool. Those new metal housing routers are actually way better than the horrible plastic everything possible Ryobi ones they had before.
                  $100 for the CM/Bosch kit is a great buy.
                  Last edited by Andrew M.; 05-04-2008, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I switched gears and bought a Milwaukee 5616-24 two base kit from International Tool. Just got it Friday, haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thanks to all for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by Norsky View Post
                      I switched gears and bought a Milwaukee 5616-24 two base kit from International Tool. Just got it Friday, haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thanks to all for your input!
                      An excellent choice IMHO....

Comment

Is that true the craftsman has interchangeable parts with the Bosch? Those Bosch routers are very popular sellers, I never heard that before.

But the Milwaukee is a great choice.
                        Jay
                        Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                        Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
                          Is that true the craftsman has interchangeable parts with the Bosch? Those Bosch routers are very popular sellers, I never heard that before.

But the Milwaukee is a great choice.
                          It's true for this model, which is a Bosch 1617 in a red case...you can put the Bosch motor in the plunge base from the Craftsman clone and vice versa. Handles, brushes, fan parts, etc. are the same. The sub-base is the only other difference I'm aware of. Unfortunately, Sears no longer carries this particular Bosch made Craftsman router. (see the pics on page one of this post...)
                          Last edited by hewood; 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

This months issue of Wood magazine (Issue 184, Page 70) has an article comparing 12 Router multibase packs.

The top rated is the Bosch 1617EVSPK (I agree with this as I have this model and love it).

Second is the Milwaukee 5616-24, followed by the Porter-Cable 895PK and Ridgid R2930

A top value was given to the Craftsman 17543, decent performance for a low price.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                              This months issue of Wood magazine (Issue 184, Page 70) has an article comparing 12 Router multibase packs.

The top rated is the Bosch 1617EVSPK (I agree with this as I have this model and love it).

Second is the Milwaukee 5616-24, followed by the Porter-Cable 895PK and Ridgid R2930

A top value was given to the Craftsman 17543, decent performance for a low price.
                              I just checked my CM/Bosch kit, #26620, and years back WOOD mag picked that over the Bosch for features ,[ very close ratings, ]such as the router lift feature in the fixed base.They are basically the same. The new CM routers are NOT made the same(Taiwan built I think) but are better than the Ryobi routers they used to have.
                              I also have the DW618 3pk and like that too esp. the D base. For a plunge handheld use , the DW621 is the best router out there.
                              This is a great site for info:

http://www.patwarner.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X