X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zero clearance insert

Have any of you bought the 3650 zci from Peach tree? I bought two and either my saw is different or the inserts don't fit most 3650 saws. The major problem is the rollpin mounted in the back of the insert. On my machine when I have the rollpin inserted and try to level the back of the insert the front of the insert lifts up and I can't get it down without creating a high center of the insert. With the pin out I can make the adjustments with no problem. I seem to have to straighten the insert each time I use it. It is made of uhmw..
    James
    Last edited by harrison2119; 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM.

Re: zero clearance insert

ok dude I have two of thoses from peach tree but have not taken them out of the bag yet, will make it a priorty and get bk to you

§m€llŸ™

Comment

I've got a couple sitting here; haven't tried them yet. Mine have a bit of a sag in them. I called Peachtree and they said to just bend them back to flat by pressing them over a table edge. I've tried that, some improvement, but couldn't get back to flat or nearly flat.

If I can't get them flat and/or I also have a problem with the retaining pin, I'll probably go back to making them out of plywood or mdf.
      Dick

Comment

ok
        here is the poop......
        I have no problem with the pin sticking out of the end it fits to the table fine.

the problem I have is the blade sits too high ,and I cant sit the insert into positon.

how do ya like them beans
        the blade is like maybe an 1/8 too high I would have to rout some kind of slot under the insert to get it to sit.

§m€llŸ™

Comment

Smelly, I usually start mine with a smaller blade from my circular saw (thin kerf) or one of the outside cutters from my dado set (full kerf). I run the smaller blade up full which gives me enough clearance to set the insert in place with the 10" blade all the way down and not binding the blade. Then I turn 'er on and raise it up through.

Others cut a 1/4" deep dado through the bottom.

Hope this helps

Go.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Ya gofor,
            this blade I have on is an old blade, it is not the one I want to use with the new inserts, I have 6 old 2"X9"x6foot steps, that I will sand the paint off recut and then replane and joint to use as fix it up spare lumber. I have to sand them down because there was sand added to the paint to be anti skid . Most of the paint is worn off in the middle, and the sides are rounded a bit,one peice gets used twice as a step because I flip them over and get about two years to a side . this lumber was pressure treated so I use it to make stuff like shelves or what ever needs fixing and is not visible. my recyle effort. once these boards are cut, I have a freud fusion blade, that I will be using the new insert, and will be getting a dado, a freud sd206 for the other insert.
            §m€llŸ™

Comment

My problem with the pin is after you cut the kerf and try to adjust the zci to be level. When I adjust the back two screws to level the insert the pin hits the top of the groove that the pin is in in the ts frame and causes the front of the zci to raise up and I cannot pull it down to make the front level. I am going to look into getting a flat piece of metal that has a tail on it and screw the flat part to the bottom of the insert and then this will lower the pin so that it should not cause the problem. Without the pin it fits fine except for the bowing.
              James

Comment

I just bought a couple from Peach Tree as well for my TS2400LS. I noticed the pins on the 2 I bought were not exactly in the same spot, however the one I installed fit just fine (BTW, I did have to use a smaller blade to cut the slot). When I finally got it level, with no wobble, I dabbed a glob silicone on each adjusting screw to keep it from moving and/or rattling.

Comment

I haven't tried that insert, but I already had two of the Ridgid ZCI's. They fit well, but to me they seem a bit too flexible, a little to thin and light-weight.

Happily on Saturday my wife went to Woodcraft (she was looking for some exotic wood for me to slice up for one of her crafts projects) and when she came home she had bought me a "surprise".

She picked up a Lee Craft ZCI for the Ridgid 3650. It fits perfectly, and it is rock solid. It has a pre-shaped indent on the lower side so that it doesn't ride up above the blade when you are first installing it. It has the tab at the back (with instructions on filing it down if it doesn't fit properly) along with 4 allen-head set screws for leveling plus 2 screws (one side, one at the front) to make sure it fits precisely. There is no hold-down screw, but there is a slot to pull it out with a finger.

I'm happy with the Lee Craft and would probably buy another (although it was a bit pricey for my tastes - $21 on Amazon, $24 at Woodcraft - I originally bought two of the ZCI's from Ridgid and paid [IIRC] around $15 each for them at the time). Next time, I'll make them myself and see how that goes.

Comment

ok I installed the ZCI from peachtree, had to use a 7 inch blade to get it started, fit the TS very well, I will add a dabe of silicon to fix the seating screws, so that they don't move, other wise it works fine.... in the future I will also try a DIY model of ZCI there are excellent posts here in the forums of how to do it

§m€llŸ™

Comment

I have found that the one's I got are thinner than they should be. I got one through amazon made by Leecraft woodcraft also sells them. It is thicker and made of a heavy stock with melamine top. It is machine crafted and fits perfectly. I never could get the center of the umdf ones to level out with the saw base and this would make my dado measurements off.
                      James

Comment

I have 2 ZCI's from Peachtree-one for a thin kerf blade and one for a dado. I've had them for a couple of years so things may have changed, but they are both flatter than a pool table and the tabs fit perfectly. I cut the kerf in the regular ZCI using my circular saw blade and routed the dado one after first marking it with the circular saw blade. After leveling them I put "lok-tite" on the leveling screws so they would stay put. So far, so good.

Blind Bill

Comment

I got 2 inserts from Peachtree for my TS2400LS. When I got them, they were not flat. As suggested, I clamped them flat to my table. Didn't help. Peachtree replaced them. The replacements "started" out flat. After about a week, they started to warp just like the first two. I think there is a stress somehow induced during their manufacturing process. I gave up and made a bunch out of 1/2" MDF.

Comment

Working...
                          X