Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest project

Dear All,

I just thought I'd share some photos of my latest project. The wood is salvaged which is my way of saying I pulled it from the trash! I pulled some of it from a dumpster at a freeway construction site (the pine on the edges of the table top), a wide plank that had been sitting for years at my mother-in-laws in Tucson that was slightly termite eatern (center peice of table top), and the rest is mesquite from some trees that blew down last year and cut up by a landscape company. You can't beat free wood!

Its held together with dowel jonts & glue, and finished with linseed oil.

Cheers Dennis
    Attached Files

Re: Latest project

Great piece of work. I really like the aged look of the piece. Looks like its been through a lot.

So how the heck did you work with the wood on the legs facing the picture. Nice job on making the piece look like it was meant to be.

Josh

Comment

Nice work, DW! I love salvaged wood. Great job of putting it all together.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Beautiful......

The legs also have a diamond willow look, I never realized they have similar characteristics. Very cool indeed......
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hi Josh,

I used a bandsaw to cut all the mesquite from the odd sized logs I picked up. I just cut them roughly square following the curve of the log, smoothed them with a belt sander (50grit) and used a spoke shave to take the edge off the corners. Then used a miter saw to cut the ends. It was really easy since you don;t care about anything being square or parallel.

I think I'm going to make something from ironwood next since I salvaged a bunch of that from a firewood pile!

Cheers Dennis

Comment

Nice work, i love the legs.

Comment

Very nice and quite creative. You've certainly captured the charm of the mesquit with a very nice and unique piece.

Thanks for sharing your work with us,

CWS

Comment

Great work. With the price of wood nowadays maybe we should all go out and start looking into dumpsters. Be proud of what you have done.

Comment

Dennis, That is a great looking table! Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

yes I agree a very fine piece

§m€llŸ™

Comment

Nice work !! and great use of recycled wood . It sure looks solid
                      John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...d=112698715866

Comment

Dang, another guy I have to hate! It's one thing to make something out of nice *free* wood but then to have it turn out as gorgeous as that... well, dang!!
                        Good job!! Oh yea, if you're going to do a project with ironwood be sure you plan on buying a new blade afterward - it can be nasty hard!
                        Later,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...
                        X