AC 2008 Molding Head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC 2008 Molding Head

Got a AC 2008 Molding Head Cutter as a present today, and was just wanting some comments on how well it works. Searched in prior posts and couldn't find much.

Any info or comments would be appreciated. Betcha that suckers pretty loud when it's running.

Haven't put it on my TS 3650 yet, wanted to get a little feedback first.

Keep making that sawdust,

Woodrat

Never tried it on a TS, but it works great on my RAS
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I have the sears Molding head. It's the same as the ridgid. The only different is the label. I have used it on my TS 2424 & powermatic 66. I have gotten very clean cuts. If you need more info please feel free to PM me.

[ 02-14-2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Andy B. ]
      Andy B.

Comment

I have the sear head as well, have had it for several years and never really liked using it. It just does not seem safe to use. I only have a RAS, how do you set it up on yours to use it safely

Comment

On the tablesaw I start with the spacer aginst the arbor. Then the modling head. Follow that with the arbor nut. You do have to use a wooden fence aginst the meatl fence. Then put the part to be cut on the table with the molding head lower all the way down. There has to be a board clamp to the fence that will hold the stock down to the table. The lenght of the borad should be from the front of the insert to the back of the fence rail. Then set the fence to where it needs to be. Then set the molding head to the final depht of cut. It is better to take a few passes than one heavy cut.
          Andy B.

Comment

I also have the Sears on----just the same.

To add to Andy's good advice, when assemblying the cutters, make sure they are all fully seated---I usually clean them and the head with paint thinner before using----and DO make sure you have the cutters in the right direction. Make sure all the allen screws are fully tightened.

And, never stand in direct line with the cutters----always use feather boards.

Personally, I don't use mine very much, since many of the patterns can be duplicated on my router table.
            Dave

Comment

I use my old sears with my old Yuba RAS. My saw is slightly differnt than the newer ones but I will describe my setup and you can take it for what it is worth. My RAS has full arbor shafts on both sides so I prefer to place mine on the right hand shaft. I remove the back fence and roll the motor over on its side and lower the head to be just flush with the table top. I then install a molding head fence that covers the top of the cutter head and allows the blades to stick through. From there I adjust the table to the depth of cut that I want, my table floats back and forth on rails, set the speed, its a varibable speed motor, run a test piece and I'm ready to go. If you would like pictures, let me know and I can take a couple.
              I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

Like they say a picture is worth 1000 words. I especially would like to see details of the floating table

Comment

Hi Guys! Thanks for the comments, although I must say, I have mixed feeling on using it now.

Like Dave, I can pretty well duplicate any cut on my router table. Just don't know if it's worth the worry, after reading the posts, and the set up to use it.

A friend got it for me at a HD out of state, so I hate to return it. Anybody else have any comments, please post them.

Thanks for the imput!!

Woodrat

Comment

Hi Guys! Thanks for the comments, although I must say, I have mixed feeling on using it now.

Like Dave, I can pretty well duplicate any cut on my router table. Just don't know if it's worth the worry, after reading the posts, and the set up to use it.

A friend got it for me at a HD out of state, so I hate to return it. Anybody else have any comments, please post them.

Thanks for the imput!!

Woodrat

Comment

Working...
                    X