X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the forum.

We have all learned a lot about Ridgid tools on this forum. Thanks Ridgid for the forum. I have explained my troubles with the expensive cordless hammer drill. We all seem to agree that HD has good PR and in store customer service. On the other hand most of us agree that Ridgid tools are not designed well and do not last. I believe the tool company needs to revampt thier R&D team.

The most surprising thing is that they have provided this forum which seems to be driving customers away from thier tools rather than attracting us to them.

I wonder how much longer Ridgid and HD will continue this site, or at least how much longer before they begin to monitor and ultimately sensor?

Good luck to all
    Jim [img]redface.gif[/img]

Jim----must have been frustrating with your hammer drill. It's hard to say if all Ridgid tools are poorly designed. They clearly had a few bad table saws, but reports have not come as often lately. As to the hand power tools, most of the problems seem to be with the cordless. Haven't heard much if anything on things like the ROS or jigsaw----either they are pretty trouble free, or people aren't buying them.

As to this forum, I would say it would be nice for someone from Ridgid to step in and address some of the issues.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabee:
      We have all learned a lot about Ridgid tools on this forum. Thanks Ridgid for the forum. I have explained my troubles with the expensive cordless hammer drill. We all seem to agree that HD has good PR and in store customer service. On the other hand most of us agree that Ridgid tools are not designed well and do not last. I believe the tool company needs to revampt thier R&D team.

The most surprising thing is that they have provided this forum which seems to be driving customers away from thier tools rather than attracting us to them.

I wonder how much longer Ridgid and HD will continue this site, or at least how much longer before they begin to monitor and ultimately sensor?

Good luck to all
      Jim - have wondered similar myself and then came to conclusion they actually doing this right and adding customers most likely vs losing.

It's a treat and privilage to have a forum that remains basically fair and free to post pros and cons. They learn and we learn. Keeps improving the overall product one would think too. If it was/is to change I personally think I would rethink my decision making process - it would make me wonder if they had something to hide or attempt to "make go away" - that would be big black mark IMO.

Most forums are so pro a certain brand but are not truly any different - certain folks have certain opinions and you will never change them. It doesn't matter if they've ever even heard of the tool - it's X brand, or not Y brand, and that's all they need to know. It'd be funny to see someone start a thread about a "new" non-existent tool and have some others add they have ---- bet suddenly 100 posters show up - I have it "stinks" or "it's great". And the dumb thing does not exist yet many will swear to this or that.

No - I admire this board and the openness of it all in all. Refreshing

[ 02-03-2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: ChipMaker ]

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:

As to this forum, I would say it would be nice for someone from Ridgid to step in and address some of the issues.
        Dave- I am curious as to what you mean by this.

Comment

The only RIDGID woodworking tool that I own is the 3612. This tool is very well designed and rock solid when it comes to performance and the overall quality of the tool itself and the parts that make it up. The R&D that went into this saw was very extensive I'm sure. The manual that came with the saw was so well written and easy to follow that even someone with limited knowledge of table saws could have one up and running in a matter of hours.

"HD has good PR and in store customer servie". Well, not any that I've ever been in. My personal feeling is that HD did such a lousy job of promoting RIDGID tools in the past that they were a very large factor in Emerson's decision to stop manufacturing the RIDGID line of woodworking tools and outsource that function.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good luck to all
            I'm not sure what world you are living in, but HD does not have good in store CS. They may have Their shining moments at times, but for the most part, they are average at best. Also, most of us do not agree that Ridgid is making poor quality tools, and certainly not tools that do not last. I have almost my whole shop outfitted with Ridgid stuff and have been happy. I have used the Ridgid CS both in the pasty and recently, and also own one of the new cordless tools.

Also, HD has no part of this website. This website is moderated by Ridgid, which is not owned by HD, contrary to what HD associates commonly say. if anything, HD needs to do a better job of edumacating their people so as not to mislead people with misinformation.

Comment

Jim,
              I agree that it is great that Ridgid provides this forum for us to exchange information.
              That is the only part of your post I agree with. If you think "HD has good PR and in store customer service" and that "Ridgid tools are not designed well and do not last" you are entitled to your opinion, but don't presume to speak for the rest of us.
              I am totally satisfied with my TS3650 and will not hesitate to buy more Ridgid tools in the future and I think HD customer service stinks (except for their return policy).
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I would have to agree that Ridgid has fallen off since the new line of tools.All of my major tools (Compound MS,R.A.S,TS3612,air filtration etc.etc) are all Ridgid, when Emerson tool was still making them. I have also TRIED to talk to customer service with little luck, I also thought I was having a problem with my CMS in that the motor seemed to be getting weak. I called HD and the best they could do is send it out for repair but what I was told by the salesman at the time of the purchase is that if I have a problem with any Ridgid product just bring it in and we'll just give you a new one. What ever it takes to make a sale I guess. So I will agree that all in all I am not impressed with HD customer service and will not be buying anouther Ridgid product. But I do enjoy the forum. Thanks Ridgid

Comment

Reply to all...
                  If you look around the forum you will find a lot of problems with several of the tools. Table saw motor burnouts and adjustments, numerous band saw problems, fried motors on many different tools.

All 3 stores in my are are excellent at exchanging returned items (3 hammer drills which have a defect resulting in bit wobble), no questions asked. You cannot talk to a manager which bothers me but it easy to return. HD would not honor the 20% discount on a different brand, however.

Local stores have discounted the RAS $50.00 - I wonder why.

I was going to purchase the table saw but after 3 defective drills I am a little gun shy about Ridgid. The upper end tools are priced with and above other brands so they should be as reliable.

I'll read the forum, maybe you guys can change my mind.

Good luck to all
                  Jim

Comment

Reply to all...
                    If you look around the forum you will find a lot of problems with several of the tools. Table saw motor burnouts and adjustments Jim
                    I have read every post concerning the TS3650 and have never seen a report of a "table saw motor burnout". Are you talking about an older model saw or what? I would like to see a quote from the post you are referring to if you can find it.
                    Lorax
                    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I'm gonna tell the truth and shame the devil. I have Ridgid tools (TS3650, Circ Saw, 1/4 Sander) for one reason. HD had a 20% off sale. And If they give another sale I'll buy the miter saw and the jointer. For the price I paided for these machines I have ABSOLUTELY NO complaints. My neighbor has a Land Rover I gotta Jeep. No way I'm gonna compare my Jeep to his Rover. But for the Super Bowl he was over here drinking my beer. In the wood working world I'm a blind man. Blind men don't buy Porches.
                      If a butterfly didn\'t have wings, they\'d call it a butterwalk.

Comment

Working...
                      X