Unpleasant saw blade/plywood experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpleasant saw blade/plywood experience

A while back I picked up 2 72-tooth 10" Hitachi saw blades at a going-out-of business sale at a mom-and-pop hardware store (a dying breed, I suspect). Anyway I got a really good deal on them (list about $60, amazon/HD around 35 - I got the pair for 30).

Anyway tonight I was working on a project and was cutting some 1/2" cabinet grade plywood when WHAM! Sparks and flying metal. There was a medium sized chunk of what appears to be a 10-penny nail right in the middle of the plywood. I'm going to go back to the store where I bought it tomorrow, and luckily I was not hurt - though the sawblade now has a badly dinged tooth.

A couple of questions: Has anyone had this happen to them before - finding metal imbedded inside a sheet of plywood? And, (assuming the worst and the store doesn't offer a replacement blade) is the blade worth fixing? I like the way it's twin cuts - it is extremely smooth and very consistent, and so far no problems with it. But I have no idea how much having a tooth replaced costs. Any suggestions yes or no? Thanks in advance.

BTW, something from the plywood - I'm assuming the other half of the nail probably - embedded itself in the 2x4 leg of the workbench directly opposite the saw. I'm glad I was off to once side this time...

Re: Unpleasant saw blade/plywood experience

I found a piece of aluminum once in some plywood.Nails in wood does happen specially if the logs came from a fence line.
    If teeth are missing from the blade its probably not worth fixing.
    Sam

Comment

Hard to say if the blade is worth fixing. You've got $15 into it, which is a good deal, but anything close to regular retail is not such a bargain...AFAIK, those blades use C2 carbide which doesn't hold an edge all that long. It's worth pricing out the cost to fix it, then compare the cost of a comparable replacement, then make a judgement call. A Freud 60T is a better blade IMHO, but is likely to cost at least $30.

Comment

I got a replacement blade today (same brand and model) - it took about 5 minutes and an brief explanation (showed them the metal, the blade, and the cavity in the plywood where it had been).

Later I dug out the rest of the metal from a leg on my workbench. together the 2 pieces made a hunk of 10p nail about half an inch long. Again, I am very, VERY glad that I was NOT directly in line with the blade when that happened. I have a small metal detector that I haven't used in years, if I can find it that is. This is almost enough to get me to dig it out and start using it on stock.

BTW, the tooth didn't come off, but it did change the set of the tooth noticeably. The dinged blade would have been useless for anything but VERY rough cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by airedad View Post
          <snip>

Anyway tonight I was working on a project and was cutting some 1/2" cabinet grade plywood when WHAM! Sparks and flying metal. There was a medium sized chunk of what appears to be a 10-penny nail right in the middle of the plywood. I'm going to go back to the store where I bought it tomorrow, and luckily I was not hurt - though the sawblade now has a badly dinged tooth.

I'm glad I was off to once side this time...
          I was taught, long ago in the dim recess of the dawn of time, that one should **always** stand aside of the blade. I don't know if you were serious as though you don't usually stand aside, or that you were just stating it this way as you were making your point. JMO. Does anyone disagree with an aside stance?

Originally posted by airedad View Post
          I got a replacement blade today (same brand and model) - it took about 5 minutes and an brief explanation (showed them the metal, the blade, and the cavity in the plywood where it had been).

Mighty nice of them to do this considering that they were going out of business. So many stores now feel like there are so many buyers out there that disposessing one doesn't much matter.

Later I dug out the rest of the metal from a leg on my workbench. together the 2 pieces made a hunk of 10p nail about half an inch long. Again, I am very, VERY glad that I was NOT directly in line with the blade when that happened. I have a small metal detector that I haven't used in years, if I can find it that is. This is almost enough to get me to dig it out and start using it on stock.

BTW, the tooth didn't come off, but it did change the set of the tooth noticeably. The dinged blade would have been useless for anything but VERY rough cuts.
          Saw a guy torque a bandsaw because someone jabbed him in the ribs. A 12" section of 3/4" blade shot out like an arrow (you couldn't even see it travel) and stuck in a hollow core door 10 yards away. Someone should have walked on that one but no one did. You're right about using that blade. The balance of the thing may have been effected too. We're sure glad that you weren't hurt!
          Last edited by ironhat; 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM. Reason: Botched addition - it fell within the quote
          Later,
          Chiz
          https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

I work in a machine shop, and try to stay aside any cutting parts.
            Specifically, I try to stay out of their "plane of rotation."

Sometimes that's just not enough, though. One of my co-workers has sent carbide ricocheting off 4 walls, faster than you can see.

...And that's why I have life insurance.

Comment

Actually the blade was from another store (mom & pop) now out of business. I bought the plywood at HD, and they replaced the blade (same blade) without a question - and the plywood, too. I was impressed at the service. While I did have the receipt for the plywood with me, I didn't have the one for the blade. I expect that since the blade was the same as one they carry that was why they replaced it - even though I told the cust service guy I had bought it elsewhere.

Chalk one up for a good experience.

Comment

ironhat said:

I was taught, long ago in the dim recess of the dawn of time, that one should **always** stand aside of the blade. I don't know if you were serious as though you don't usually stand aside, or that you were just stating it this way as you were making your point. JMO. Does anyone disagree with an aside stance?

Disagree? Negative. first lesson my father taught me about rotating equipment,
                as I recall, never stand in line with the plane of rotation.
                Steve.

Comment

I'm all for standing aside, good idea when using a chainsaw (kickback) too.

Comment

With plywood no, but I have seen lots of "junk" inside particle board and melamine sheets.

The guy with the "rib poke"......would be gone, and lucky to not have an "injury" before leaving.

Comment

thanks

thanks so much for sharing................
                      dmt sharp

Comment

Originally posted by LONGHAIR View Post
                        The guy with the "rib poke"......would be gone, and lucky to not have an "injury" before leaving.
                        Kind of like "falling" through the back door on his way out!

Comment

Working...
                        X