X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Board

I think this is what they are called. How do you make a simple one for a quick project?

Re: Story Board

There are different names for things in different parts of the country. What is the project and a little more info on what you want to make and I'm sure someone here can help you out.

Comment

I guess what I call a 'story board' is a template that allows you to make repetative cuts in a long peice of stock...like every 1/2" so you don't have to remeasure each one.

Comment

Well, the easiest way is to simply cut a length of 1-by material (or hardboard, or a square dowel, or whatever) and layout your measurements on that. Putting a tiny notch at the measurement point helps (using a marking knife or some other tool) to place the pencil tip at the same spot each time.

Then, you simply lay the story board across each work piece and use the exact same layout marking points to mark each work piece.

If you're like me and love to get every new gadget that comes out... here's a story stick. Same concept, taking to the nth degree with quality workmanship. Only problem with it is it too long to mark IN some projects (e.g. inside of drawers).
        http://www.woodpeck.com/storystick.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
          Well, the easiest way is to simply cut a length of 1-by material (or hardboard, or a square dowel, or whatever) and layout your measurements on that. Putting a tiny notch at the measurement point helps (using a marking knife or some other tool) to place the pencil tip at the same spot each time.

Then, you simply lay the story board across each work piece and use the exact same layout marking points to mark each work piece.

If you're like me and love to get every new gadget that comes out... here's a story stick. Same concept, taking to the nth degree with quality workmanship. Only problem with it is it too long to mark IN some projects (e.g. inside of drawers).
          http://www.woodpeck.com/storystick.html
          Couldn't you just put the tabs on the inside of the drawer, then use the outside faces as your reference instead of the slot?

Comment

Wood Junkie has pretty well answered it. In my circles we called it a story pole, but it amounts to the same thing. I have one example--a piece of 1x2 oak that I laid out and drilled holes every inch for shelf clips. Makes it easy and fast to just put the bit in the holes and drill the sides of the cabinet for shelf clips.

Comment

Working...
            X