New Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Router

After considerable research I have narrowed my decision to the Bosch 1617EVS or Milwaukee 5616-24 both kits with fixed and plunge bases. This will replace my old B&D router. This will be an all purpose machine in my "developing" home shop. Any comments or suggestions on these or others?

Re: New Router

I just picked up the Bosch kit a short time ago myself. It earned a number of top ratings, is easy to find bits for, and is a quality machine. The only thing I'd suggest is that you catch a deal on amazon I saved about $30.00 on it and got free shipping.

Comment

Bosch is well-proven while Milwaukee has a lot of good reviews. People tend to say "feel it yourself" ... but that made me went home with Dewalt ..

BTW, I live in WA hence I'm not tax free with Amazon, but I have had very good experiece with InternationalTools, check out their price, they may have the lowest price you can find (free shipping too) ,,, and still are authorized dealer.

anyway, good luck shopping.

Comment

I have the Bosch 1617EVS. I was lucky and caught one that included the edge guide, template collars, and vac attachments withg the plunge and straight bases.
        I am very happy with it and its performance. Will never go without variable speed again!!.

However:
        The round handles on the straight base take some getting used to. Not a problem if its going to be your router table base. Also not bad for working on a large flat surface.
        The plunge base is a bit top heavy IMHO. However, not enough so that it is a problem using it.

Overall I am very happy with it, however I was replacing an old 3/4 hp craftsman screamer, so I am not an expert with the other brands out there. All the extras were what finalized my decision between it and the DeWalt & PC. As for feel and balance, I think the DeWalt may have won out otherwise.

If possible, get the tool guy to let you put the motor into the base so you can feel the balance.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I got the Milwaukee 5616-24 and its a great router. I read hundreds of reviews and ended with those 2 routers to choose and chose the Milwaukee over the Bosh because I found more negative reviews about the Bosh.It was on minor things but even so it made me doubt. The Milwaukee its very robust and its weight feels lighter than it looks. It comes with the plunge and normal bases and the plunging action is terrific. Much better than the Ridgid ,Freud ,Porter Cable and Bosch that I tried. It have the Milwaukee 5 year warranty and that should tell you something about Milwaukees workmanship.The carrying cause its huge and have space for bits and other accessories.This thing is very powerfull but manageable at the same time.I got it form dynamite tool and they had it on a special sale that included a Milwaukee palm sander for free.They delivered quick and packaged very well. I just checked it and they still have that special.Get the Milwaukee, you wont regret it.

http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/Milwau...il-5616-24.htm

Comment

I've had the Bosch 1617 and the MW 5615 BodyGrip, and based on that experience, plus what I've read, I'd go with the 5616-24 kit in a heartbeat. The Bodygrip design of the MW for handrouting is wonderful....they also happen to be extremely well made. From what I've read, teh MW has a better plunger too.

Can't really go wrong with either though...

Comment

I ordered the Milwaukee today from International Tool. Price $199 delivered. Thanks to all for your input!

Comment

now i just wonder why no one here even mentoined the ridgid router??
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  now i just wonder why no one here even mentoined the ridgid router??
                  When I was looking at routers I was seriously eyeing the ridgid router myself. The router seems to be well built, and has a few nice features like the LED light & see through base.

A few of the ridgid router reviews I read seemed to have issues with fine adjustments on the depth adjustment of the ridgid router which concerned me.

The reason I decided to get the Bosh was a matter of price. I had spent months eyeing the Ridgid router kit and waiting for a deal, I figured "The big tool sale" would be my chance. Unfortunately the router kit was one of the few things that wasn't included in the sale.

Meanwhile the Bosch router kit went on sale at Home Depot, Amazon, Lowes, and Sears. I ended up picking up the Bosch Router for $179.99 which is $40 cheaper than it's normal retail price of $210, and $30 cheaper than ridgid's full price offering.

More tool for the same or less price seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Comment

Same boat here... ~$180 shipped less $40 rebate from DeWalt, final price: $140 shipped (no tax) for a set of DW618PK.

I'm just too cheap to buy the Ridgid routers

Originally posted by joe f View Post
                    Meanwhile the Bosch router kit went on sale at Home Depot, Amazon, Lowes, and Sears. I ended up picking up the Bosch Router for $179.99 which is $40 cheaper than it's normal retail price of $210, and $30 cheaper than ridgid's full price offering.

More tool for the same or less price seems like a "no brainer" to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X