Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing Nail Size and Type question

HI Folks,

I am looking for some advice on the best type of nail (for a nail gun Porter Cable FR350A) for framing a simple shed as well as for framing a deck.

These are 2 separate projects, but since the nails seem to be only sold in bulk I want to get one box that'll fit both the projects.

Would a 3" Galvanized Ring Shank nail work for both the projects? Framing for a shed (very small - approx 100 sq feet) as well as an outdoor deck framing ?

Thanks,
    Subbu

Re: Framing Nail Size and Type question

What are the projects?

What dia.does your gun shoot.

Are you going to shoot .131 3-1/4 shorts?

Do you think the ring shank is going to pentrate the framing plates into the end of studs.You need to have at least 3-1/4".Out here we are required to use 3-1/2 commons for framing.

Comment

Drtyhands, the projects are a deck and a shed. FR350A shoots from .113 to .148 diameter (per manual). I was thinking of using ring shank as I read it has better grip. So, I am guessing it is better than common?

Thanks for your advice.

Subbu

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      What are the projects?

What dia.does your gun shoot.

Are you going to shoot .131 3-1/4 shorts?

Do you think the ring shank is going to pentrate the framing plates into the end of studs.You need to have at least 3-1/4".Out here we are required to use 3-1/2 commons for framing.

Comment

Minimum size would be 3.25" but check local code. If the deck frame is pressure treated wood you need to make sure what ever nail you get is rated for use in PT (ACQ rated). An example would be pasload's hot dip galvanized plus. Regular fasteners will disintegrate in a very short time. What ever fastener you use for the deck will be fine for the shed but cost much more than a standard non outdoor fastener

Comment

You might want to look through the B&C Eagle selection at Amazon:
          http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...=B%26C%20Eagle

They carry some smaller boxes of 500 each, which would allow you to get a couple different sizes. I can never get them locally as they are sold in contractor sized packages at the bigbox stores.

Comment

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help..

Comment

If the deck lumber is treated lumber the fasteners will need to heavy galvanized or stainless steel nails, and the normal is the 3 1/4" that is normally sold,

If you want ring shanks I would suggest screws instead, would be my opinion.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

And remember the FR350A shoots a full round head nail and not a clipped head. It's amazing how many PC 350's we get back in because somebody put the wrong nail in them. Then they bring them back and just can't understand what went wrong, must have been PC's fault for making a crappy nail gun.
                sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

Working...
                X