Cordless Choices???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Choices???

Ok...it's down to four drill drivers to replace the PC 19.2...(no I won't get another PC...had two of them in the first year go bad).

De Walt 18v XRP
    Makita 18V
    Bosch 18v
    Milwaukee 18v

Which one would you choose?....which one do you have and why do you like it?
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Kelly

If it were my hard earned cash, I’d get the Milwaukee. I have the 18v DeWalt XRP at work and the clutch seems to have no effect regardless of setting. I thought the drill might be defective but the April Workbench magazine reviewed 18v drill and saw combo packs and they also noted this (Milwaukee received the Editors Choice Award). We also have a couple 14.4v Milwaukee drills at work, which everyone seems to grab before the 18v DeWalt. Good luck with your new drill.

Woodslayer

Comment

I go with the makita. The reason is for 20 years my dad has used their tools. He likes how their built. Up to the high shcool is dewalt. Why money talks & B.S. walks!
      Andy B.

Comment

Kelly,
        I've had a DW988K (DeWalt 18v XRP hammer drill) for about 6 months, and I love it. It's very well balanced, very powerful, and very reliable. The clutch "problem" is that it has very little effect in the low gear. It has low, med, and high speed gears, and the low gear is designed to give maximum torque. The med and high gears work just like the previous models of this drill with only two gears. The clutch works just fine. I got the hammer drill because I needed it to drill through concrete, and this drill tears into it with no problem. I also like the titanium chuck. It spins very true (no wobble) and holds bits realy well(no slip). I also tried the models you mentioned, the the DeWalt just felt the best in my hand. My choice would be the DeWalt.
        Good luck!
        Rick

Comment

Kelly,
          Journal of Light Construction March 2003 just did a 14.4 volt comparison. JLC Online. They liked the Panasonic. I have mostly DeWalt (2-12v,14.4,24,12v impact driver) and like them. I bought the 14.4 Makita kit with drill, circ saw, recip, light, blower and case and I am not too impressed with the 2.6 nimh batteries. Thinking about selling this off to save space and buy a new compressor.

I have found that the 12 volt drill/drivers are a great compromise for most jobs as you are not holding excess weight. My heavy duty DeWalt has 330 inch lbs and the impact driver will drill like crazy with hex shank bits and has 1000 inch lbs and 2400 rpm. It is light, short and goes like heck.

As said before the Milwaukees are great but I have heard heavy.

Bob Smith

[ 03-09-2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Bob S ]

Comment

Kelly,

I've only had the Bosch 18V for about two months. The impressive feature for me, apart from normal Bosch construction quality, is the 475inch lbs of torque. Have used it in metal as well as hardwoods, and for screwdriving without stalling.

Now what about Douglas Fir versus Redwood for outdoor garden projects?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

David

Comment

Hey Kelly;

I have the DeWalt 4pc combo kit, and the drill is a very powerful and reliable. I once dropped it about 15 feet to concrete, and it survived with barely a scratch. I would recommend it. The clutch issue was explained by Rick. Though I find the hammer drill action if very light. But I have a Milwaukee Electric Hammer Drill for the heavy duty stuff.

All the drills you are looking at are good drills, but I would have to put Makita on the bottom of those 4. For myself, it would be a choice between the DeWalt and Milwaukee.

On another note, I have the 5pc 18v kit by Ryobi as well. It's not a tradesman set, more the occasional DIY'er.
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Kelly, i have used Dewalt cordless tools for about five years now and wind up buying more for bigger jobs and employees. There are two things to consider IMHO, will it be used commercially or around the house a couple times a week, and will you be buying other cordless tools.(circular saw, jig saw, sawzall) and whatever they come out with next. Keep in mind that if you are looking towards more cordless tools, how many different batteries and chargers do you want sitting on your work bench. I suggest you make your decision using both of the answers to those two points, and then buy your drill.

good luck on your purchase

Comment

i love milwaukee tools and would recommend the milwaukee. with one exception, for a drill/driver look at the hilti sf-121A. it will be the last cordless drill/driver you will have to buy!
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Well, the Milawuakee won....saw the Workbench mag (It was on the coffee table and hadn't been read yet).

Went to HD's and saw the old twin chuck hammer drill on sale for $199...asked about ii and and found that the extra battery was broken (last one) so I asked if they had a new one. He did and it had the single chuck and brushes access door. I asked if they'd sell it to me for $199 since they were out of the old ones...he said no, but he did give me 10% off. So I bought it...got the 18v hammer drill for less than the regualr 18v! $242 out the door! Man that thing has torque! 495 ft.lbs.!!!

I am very happy so far...charging the extra battery now. They say it's heavier than most, but it's more comfortable to hold...we'll see how it works tomorrow on lag bolts!

So I guess this is a gloat!

Thanks to all who replied especially those who told me about the article....I might not have seen that til after the purchase!
                    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I had a Makita 9.6v for about 12 years it did
                      almost everthing I asked it to do. I just got
                      the Makita M-Force 12v about 2 months ago. This
                      drill DOES do everything I ask it to. I couldn't
                      be happier with it. If your looking for more
                      power, you have to checkout the 18v Makita.
                      Just my 2¢.
                      John
                      Eastchester, NY
                      ?Going to war without France is like going deer
                      hunting without your accordion."-Norman Schwartzkopf

Comment

I had a Makita 9.6v for about 12 years it did
                        almost everthing I asked it to do. I just got
                        the Makita M-Force 12v about 2 months ago. This
                        drill DOES do everything I ask it to. I couldn't
                        be happier with it. If your looking for more
                        power, you have to checkout the 18v Makita.
                        Just my 2¢.
                        John
                        Eastchester, NY
                        "Going to war without France is like going deer
                        hunting without your accordion."-Norman Schwartzkopf

Comment

Working...
                        X