Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router bit size vs route speed

Dear All,

I'm making a desk out of rustic/knotty alder. I want to rout a decorative edge on the top which is about 1 3/4 in thick. I just received the Freud cove & bead bit I want to use (#38-314) w/ 1/2in shaft. However, I have two problems:

1) My milwaukee router is a fixed speed unit rated at 24 000 rpm. The router bit is 1 9/16 in diam. In the freud leaflet it says bit diam 1 1/4in = 18 000 max rpm. 2 1/4 bit diam = 16 000 max rpm. Can I use this bit in this router safely? I think I know the answer: NO! But thought I'd ask.

2) It also states that bits over 1 1/2in in diam should only be used in a router table. This bit is 1/16 over this size. Can I use it free hand out of a table, in a router with the correct speed, safely?

I was so excited (and my son was becuase its his desk) to get this bit and put on the finishing touches, now I'm at a stand still.

If I need to get a new variable speed router, any suggestions for a reasonably priced unit?

Thanks Dennis

Re: Router bit size vs route speed

DW, You may want to do a search for router speed control. For instance Rockler has one for $50. That sure beats the cost of a new router.

Terry

Comment

Re: Router bit size vs route speed

Brilliant! Thanks for the suggestion Terry. Just what I need.

Comment

Working...
      X