Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS Question

Hi All,

I recently aquired a older (early 1970's) Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. The saw is in great shape and the motor runs strong. There is one problem. The cabinet that the saw is attached to (Standard RS cabinet from Craftman) is trashed. The bottom of the cabinet is all rusted and the castors have broken loose due to the rust.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what would be the best way to either make a new base/cabinet or where I could find a replacement without paying a fortune for it?

THANKS

Peter
    -Peter W. Lent<BR>PMi Solutions<BR>www.pmisolutions.net

Don't think you'll be missing much. The stock sheet metal bases/cabinets were pretty poor. I think you could easily modify an number of tool cabinet designs to fit your RAS. Just adjust the dimensions to fit your saw---match the size to the current cabinet. Also, plan for using the base for storage of accessories, with drawers and the like---It's much easier to have all your accessories in one spot.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of sheets of shop-grade plywood---likely much cheaper than a replacement cabinet.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info. I assumed I could either make a wooden cabinet or use an existing one that I could modify to fit the saw. Just was not sure if a wood cabinet would be strong enought to support the saw...just need to make sure I build it strong enough to hold it

Does anyone happen to know of any plans for a Radial Saw base cabinet?

THANKS

Peter
      -Peter W. Lent<BR>PMi Solutions<BR>www.pmisolutions.net

Comment

Working...
      X