X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wainscotting Dilemma

I am planning to install wainscoting on the lower half (42") of my bathroom walls. The bathroom will be gutted to the studs. I am using a 1/2 x 4" tongue & groove wainscoting, with a baseboard, baseboard cap & shoe (installed over the wainscoting, as if it was wallboard). I will also use a chair rail at the top.
    Here's my dilemma. I am using 1/2" greenboard above the wainscoting, and the tub stall is being tiled. I need the tile to go over the wall & wainscoting just outside the shower (with bullnose), so I need the entire wall to be in the same plane (the back wall of the tub stall is in the same plane as the back wall of the bathroom). I am planning on attaching the wainscoting directly to the studs (with header boards between the studs). This way the wainscoting is not on top of the greenboard (I believe that this is the way that this was done in old homes, in fact, I found evidence of it in my kitchen when I opened up a wall).

Does this sound OK? Should I let the boards "float", or should I glue the tongue & groove? I am planning on sealing all surfaces of all wood.

Re: Wainscotting Dilemma

Be sure to put up a moisture barrier first, and letting the T & G float is alright. As far as greenboard goes, I don't use it and never will. If you can seal the boards on all 6 side first, that'll make your job last a super long time. Keep the boards a 1/2" off the floor, but your baseboards (sealed) can touch the flooring.

Use Hardy Backer Board or Durarock behind you tiles. Regular drywall the rest of your bathroom....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks, but I still need to know which method is best.
      Do I attach the 1/2" x 4" wainscoting directly to the studs, with the wallboard above it, or do I cover the entire wall with wallboard then attach the wainscoting over the wallboard?
      What do I use for a vapor barrier, and where do I install it?

Thanks,

Peter

Comment

Drywall is required for fire purposes, your beadboard should go over it.

Comment

Working...
        X