X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!

For the second time, my Porter-Cable 895 router is now toast. Seems like after a while of sitting at one height, when I go to adjust it or bring it up to change the bit (I know...but I like changing the bit without taking the router out and it's SUPPOSED TO WORK that way!) the rail for the height adjustment gears snaps off. The tiny little screws that hold it just snap and the router is then useless. The motor is still good, so if anyone wants this hunk-o-junk let me know. I guess I'll be saving up for another router.

I've already had the problem fixed once by P-C. While their service is friendly, it's a pain to be without the router for a month every 3 months or so. I'm tired of having this thing out of the shop and being without my router table. No more P-C for me!

Rant off...for now! Thanks for letting me vent.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!

Wood chips caugth in the gears? Could you mill your own strip out of aluminum?

Comment

The problem isn't the strip it's the infintessimally small itty-bitty screws that hold it on. There are now bits of both screws stuck in the router base. I've already had the problem fixed once before, and have brought the engineering fault to the attention of P-C. I said at that time that when the router breaks again, I was never going to fix it and never get another P-C router. Enough is enough.

The hubby has agreed to let me get a new router, so I'm prowling about looking at options. So far the short list is:

Bosch 1617EVSPK
      Ridgid R2930
      Milwaukee 5616-24

All of these models seem to do well in a table. The major purpose of this router will be to stay mounted in the table. Although at times I find it handy to have two plunge routers setup with different bits for various projects. My major point in this search is to find a router that can work really well in a router table, and in a pinch work well in hand-held mode. Any other suggestions or comments on those three would be appreciated.

Comment

Can't help you there, my router is a big old Craftsman 3HP VS that is around 12 years old. It stays in the table as well (took the plunge springs out), I have a 9A craftsman that is over 20 years old for handheld work but I doubt I have even turned it on in 4 years, I seem to find a way to do everything on the table

Comment

I have had my Bosch 1617EVS since about Feb, and so far I am very happy with it. Its quiet, and seems to have plenty of power. I really like the variable speed control and I don't think I will buy another router that doesn't have it. I have just finished making a table insert so to date I have not done any table routing with it. I have found that the fixed base takes a bit of getting used to with the round handles, but I now have it in the table so won't be using that base much for mobile work.
          The main reason I have the Bosch is that when I bought it, it had a promo that included the edge guide and template bushings, as well as extra vac attachments, so the added attachments are what made the decision.
          From what other users have posted on various forums, I don't think you would go wrong with the Milwaukee, either. I haven't seen any comments from actual Ridgid owners.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
            The hubby has agreed to let me get a new router, so I'm prowling about looking at options. So far the short list is:

Bosch 1617EVSPK
            Ridgid R2930
            Milwaukee 5616-24

All of these models seem to do well in a table. The major purpose of this router will be to stay mounted in the table. Although at times I find it handy to have two plunge routers setup with different bits for various projects. My major point in this search is to find a router that can work really well in a router table, and in a pinch work well in hand-held mode. Any other suggestions or comments on those three would be appreciated.
            Have you considered the DeWalt 618 three base kit? I keep the fixed base permanently in the router table. I mostly use the D-handle base for free-hand work, and occasionally use the plunge base. The kit includes edge guide; the plunge base has a vac attachment, and it includes a spare clear base. For the 18 months I've had it, I love it.

Comment

Just an FYI on the Milwaukee router. I have a slightly different model, but basically the same in design as the Milwaukee 5616-24 with fixed base. I have had the following problems when mounted in a table:

- stopped working: cause ended up being sawdust and chips in the on/off switch. Had to remove the switch and blow out crud.
              - the microadjust seems to be touchy and simply does not engage some of the time without you pushing up or pulling down on the motor. Not sure if its broken on mine or whether it does not work properly mounted upside down in the table or if it also has sawdust chocking the mechanism.

Don't let this put you off, but just wanted to give my 2censt on the Milwaukee. BTW, I bought it used, so maybe the seller was trying to unload a faulty unit??

Comment

I have had the Milwaukee 1&3/4 router for several years and have been pleased with it. Looking for a second machine to use exclusively in the table, I decided on the Milwaukee 2&1/4 combo kit. This provided me with 3 bases total, the motors interchange between bases and that is an advantage for me. I have not had the need for more power in the table. The body grip feature on the fixed base is a plus. Also, the plunge base is very well built with smooth action as you plunge into the work.
                I looked at the ridgid router briefly, it was securely screwed to the display shelf forbidding any attempt to study it's features. No sale there.
                Steve.

Comment

Three of my routers are P-C, one of which is the 895, and I have not had one minute's trouble with any of them.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll keep searching around and make my decision after making all efforts to find a decent one.

I do have an older DeWalt router (plunge model) that works like a champ. The only problem I find with it is finding bases to fit. I'd like to be able to use it with a Signcrafter system, but I can't seem to find any way to fit the Signcrafter base to the router. That and the fact that the screws for the base are really difficult to find. That being said, it's a great router. I'm able to do what I need to do for this project with it after making a jig to keep it lined up.

The only problem with the 895 seems to come from it's use in the router table. Maybe at some point I can drill and tap the motor for some larger screws and re-attach the gear strip with some screws that can actually take the torque.

If anyone's around the Winchester area next Saturday, come visit me in Berryville at the craft market Saturday from 9am to 1pm. It's in the parking lot across from Focaccia on Crow Street, between Buckmarsh (Rt 340) and Church St, one block south of Main St. (Business Rt. 7). My friend Norma and I have a table. She does fabric work that is really good. I've made some hardwood buttons for her. Mainly I have some turned projects and hopefully will have this box done for the show.

Comment

[quote=VASandy;140239]Thanks for the input. I'll keep searching around and make my decision after making all efforts to find a decent one.

<snip>

The only problem with the 895 seems to come from it's use in the router table. Maybe at some point I can drill and tap the motor for some larger screws and re-attach the gear strip with some screws that can actually take the torque.

<snip>
                      quote]

That would be my suggestion as well. As long as you have enough material surrounding the new hole as well as clearance for the hole it should solve your problem. Cheaper than a new router but not nearly as glamorous.
                      Later,
                      Chiz

Comment

Yeah, Chiz, I agree with the cost of a new router! I've decided to figure out first if there's a way to drill and tap the router for larger screws. First I have to figure out what clearance I have in the motor case. There may be a reason they made those screws so tiny. Then I have to get a tap and die set that'll work.

Comment

I'm not sure if you've read up on the Triton routers but both have received extremely great reviews.

I recently completed a router cabinet & custom top and purchased the Triton due to the ease with the above table bit changes. You simply use the above table crank or open the router bay to raise the bit above the table. A simple turn of the knob raises the router and locks it out for one wrench bit changes. It also has a micro adjustment for fine tuning the bit height. These features saved me a heap of money from the previously consider PC7518 and Jessem Masterlift combination.

It's a dedicated table router and could not be easier to use.

For your consideration...

Good Luck,
                          Last edited by Dust Dawg; 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM.
                          "It's always something...That's how they getcha'..."

Comment

I've been very interested in the triton line. Thanks for the info. I'll put them on the list.

Comment

I too had this problem with my PC router. I used small pop rivets to reattach rail back onto the router housing. I did however have to ream out the tapped holes in the housing very slightly to accept the diameter of the rivet. The rivets I used fit into the rails' counter sunk bore perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X