X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MinWax

I know everyone sees every day more and more product labels printed in Spanish. I went to Home Depot to look for some stain and picked up one of the MinWax Color Guides. Every word in English on the front, inside and the back had the Spanish translation under it. I do not apologize for saying I am tired of this. I may not find many products out there now without this Spanish translation but you can sure bet I am going to try. I am not ashamed to say that if anyone cannot read the English labels then find someone to translate it for you. It is just not right that I have to look for the English translations on the products in our stores. Believe me I know where most of the products come from but it still does not make it right. I enjoy my woodworking in my retirement years but I spent two years in a country in 1967 fighting for the American flag and now I have to deal with this. Guys, I am just tired of this.

Re: MinWax

Why would they not have a translation? Minwax is owned by Sherwin Williams which is an international company. Besides the US they sell their products in probably every other spanish speaking country around the world, not just Mexico for those of you who forget other people around the world besides Mexicans and illegal immigrants also speak the language .

Comment

Well this really isn't about Minwax at all, but I can sympathize with the point of view about the bilingual labeling. I too am sick and tired of having to wade through all the Spanish labels too. Yeah I know, they sell these products in other countries too.... but they also sell them in China, Japan, Germany, Portugal, Brazil, France, etc.; and I don't see that anyone feels it's necessary to also put those translations on the packaging too!

English has largely become the dominant language in the world, but I would quite imagine that others would also tire of seeing English translations next to their country of origin too.

The problem is that everybody seems to be catering to the Spanish-speaking part of our society; and whether you like it or not, that's pretty much from "South of the Border". We all know that there have been times in our country's history when Italians, Chinese, and Eastern Europeans (to name a few) have all had their periods of being the dominant immigrant population and while their native language might be a popular necessity in their neighborhoods, it was American English that was thier focus of change in a serous effort to proudly adopt to their new country of choice. So, what's with Hispanic immigrants, legal or illegal? Certainly they are bright enough and are proud enough to also make this change, aren't they? Or is it a matter of just being here for the money and the benefits?

So, while I'm normally pretty broadminded, this "Spanish Thing" seems to be a flaunt in the face, to a lot of us. What's worse is there appears to be a rather strenous effort to get the rest of us to become bilingual so we can make it much easier to deal with Hispanics that come into our communities. Just something a bit bizarre about this kind of thinking IMO.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 05-04-2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Yeah I know, they sell these products in other countries too.... but they also sell them in China, Japan, Germany, Portugal, Brazil, France, etc.; and I don't see that anyone feels it's necessary to also put those translations on the packaging too!
        As far back as I remember manuals and labels for almost anything have been multilingual and primarily english and spanish being the most prominent. If you are distributing a product to the Americas it makes sense since those are the two predominant languages. I also see many international products sold in non-english speaking countries with primary english labeling so.

Comment

Up here we have 2 official languages (English and French) and all documentation (including Hwy signs) must be available in both languages except in Quebec were it is illegal to have English signs - go figure. When ever I pick anything up to read the label it always seems to be French

Comment

I live in quebec everything is in two languages ..... I can read both , I can speak both too
            and just to cheese you a bit.. in 75 years from now the US will be speaking spanish and english will be a minority.

§m€llŸ™

Comment

At the outlets about 30 minutes from my house the announcements are in Englished followed by a foreign language. Usually German, French, or Japanese. I actually am kind of pleased, because that isn't the foreign language I'm expecting to come out; so I am all set up to be annoyed but then am not.

Comment

I dont see anything bad in broading ones language and culture. In Europe the more languages you learn the better and normally they learn about 4 to 6 in high school to be better prepared. English will continue to be the language of mathematics , science and travel. I speak both Spanish and English and dont feel any of both is a treat to me in forgetting the other one. I would like to learn 2 or 3 language more if time permitted.And for anyone thinking im just for the money and benefits--as someone said above, I was born with American citizenship.

People tend to forget (or never have learned) , that this "New World" was discovered by a certain Cristobal Colon or "translated" Cristopher Columbus, and that was an Italian of name Americo Vespucci who found that what Cristopher Columbus discovered was not Asia or India as they have though ,but a new continent and then set on travels to outline all the East coastline of North and South America.(hence the name America in honor of Americo Vespucio). Columbus missed the coast of Florida by 500 miles ,or history would have been very different.

Then people also forget that the first inhabitants on this America were Britain INMIGRANTS , as quoted in the history books. These inmigrants were not very well received in their home country and in fact were from a low social class and came to America to work for landlords. But these INMIGRANTS turned their back on their landlords who brough them to America and on the indians that helped they survived their first year on the land. And killed the Indians and took their lanlords and the Indians land.Then when they have reduced greatly the Indians ,brough the blacks from Africa as slaves to do the hard work they didnt have the strenght to do.And then they declared their Independence and said "This is OUR America", the one they built with the blood and sweat of many innocent people and the ideas of brilliant inmigrants(like Tesla and Einstein).But then again--- we get upset when we see a MinWax can with spanish and english instructions. After all the killing we have done to everyone on this planet to get to where we are, could there be a reason that in Europe and in other parts of the world people hate us when they hear the word american?I think that we are either getting too "American ", or too racist.I for one Am an American with a open and different mind .

Comment

I would guess that manufacturers print the labels in Spanish because it sells more product, or at least would make a more appealing purchase to someone who does not speak English, but Spanish. As the Spanish speaking population increases in the USA, I'm sure manfacturers want to use marketing stratetgies to target that market. Just capitalism and the free market doing its thing!

Comment

From a business standpoint it has to cost less to print one label with 2 languages that then can be shipped throughout the Americas. You buy a DVD player and it has a manual printed in every language on the planet! If this makes the product less expensive for me then I'm all for it.

Personally, I wish I paid more attention in Spanish class in high school. To be bilingual would give me an excuse to go island hopping in the Caribbean. (Just to keep my Spanish sharp)

Comment

Originally posted by smelly View Post
                      in 75 years from now the US will be speaking spanish and english will be a minority.

Nope.
                      In 75 years those 2nd and 3rd generation latinos will not know more spanish than I do, which isn't much, which is enough to get slapped in a tijuana bar.

The latinos here are not like those nutjob pseudofrench quebecers, they use whatever language skills they have to communicate and are not out to take over the US through spanish language.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel View Post
                        I dont see anything bad in broading ones language and culture. In Europe the more languages you learn the better and normally they learn about 4 to 6 in high school to be better prepared. English will continue to be the language of mathematics , science and travel. I speak both Spanish and English and dont feel any of both is a treat to me in forgetting the other one. I would like to learn 2 or 3 language more if time permitted.And for anyone thinking im just for the money and benefits--as someone said above, I was born with American citizenship.

People tend to forget (or never have learned) , that this "New World" was discovered by a certain Cristobal Colon or "translated" Cristopher Columbus, and that was an Italian of name Americo Vespucci who found that what Cristopher Columbus discovered was not Asia or India as they have though ,but a new continent and then set on travels to outline all the East coastline of North and South America.(hence the name America in honor of Americo Vespucio). Columbus missed the coast of Florida by 500 miles ,or history would have been very different.

Then people also forget that the first inhabitants on this America were Britain INMIGRANTS , as quoted in the history books. These inmigrants were not very well received in their home country and in fact were from a low social class and came to America to work for landlords. But these INMIGRANTS turned their back on their landlords who brough them to America and on the indians that helped they survived their first year on the land. And killed the Indians and took their lanlords and the Indians land.Then when they have reduced greatly the Indians ,brough the blacks from Africa as slaves to do the hard work they didnt have the strenght to do.And then they declared their Independence and said "This is OUR America", the one they built with the blood and sweat of many innocent people and the ideas of brilliant inmigrants(like Tesla and Einstein).But then again--- we get upset when we see a MinWax can with spanish and english instructions. After all the killing we have done to everyone on this planet to get to where we are, could there be a reason that in Europe and in other parts of the world people hate us when they hear the word american?I think that we are either getting too "American ", or too racist.I for one Am an American with a open and different mind .

I guess if you wanted to equate the feelings we are having with all the illegal immigrants, and the PC desire to supplicate to their needs, you could look to the Muslim situation in Europe as being similar. What if all of a sudden you were required to start learning the arabic languages, and catering to the arabic needs? I know there is a similar growing resentment in Europe of the muslims, just as there is here in America for the illegals. At least here, if we vent about our problem, there isn't a Fatwa to kill everyone, we are just seen as crass and ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                          Nope.
                          In 75 years those 2nd and 3rd generation latinos will not know more spanish than I do, which isn't much, which is enough to get slapped in a tijuana bar.

The latinos here are not like those nutjob pseudofrench quebecers, they use whatever language skills they have to communicate and are not out to take over the US through spanish language.
                          We can hope, but in my area thats just not the case. 90% of the immigrants here have no desire to learn English, and they have no desire to help their children learn English and do well in school. I have known several (I worked in agriculture for 6 years) who still dont know enough english to get by, even though FREE classes are offered, they have children who attend public school and speak English and they have been here at least 10 years. How does a person expect to get by an not learn the predominant language of the Country you choose to live in? Oh thats right in the US we have PC and the Enablement Movement. Its very frustrating.

Comment

I'm not talking what it's like today, I'm talking 75 years.
                            The kids of the immigrants learn and speak english, their spanish is limited, their kids will know even less spanish.
                            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

And that my friends, IS my point exactly!!!

I have absolutely nothing against immigration. Nor do I have a problem with Spanish, or any other language. The problem is that we are catering to a ever growing segment of immigrants that have little will or encentive to learn the language of the country in which they wish to live.

No other immigrant class has done that and we have not catered to Italian, German, Chinese, Portuguese, Slavic or any particular language. But we do Spanish.

No other immigrant class has also been so demanding of out society either!

I am married to a family in which most are first and second generation immigrants. I also grew up in an area that was built by the hard work and ingenuity immigrants from many lands. Many still speak their native language proudly. But they are even more proud of thier adopted country and speak English fluently. To not do so would be an insult to their own families and those that sponsored their arrival here. In the past century they all came, contributed, and gained their citizenship with great effort and pride in the achievement; and none of them needed the local radio and TV station, or bilingual labels and signage to do so.

Why is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X