X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delta table saw

I am planning to buy a table saw for my basement project. Heard that used good table saw is better than cheaper new table saw. I found two used delta table saws. One is three years old Dewalt DW744 w/ Stand and Support Wings and one is Delta 10" Model 34-670 (probably more than 10 yrs old, lost the safty guard but in very good shap). Both are one owner by home owner for home project only. First one ask $250 and second one ask $200. which one I should take. I need your professional advice. thanks,

Re: delta table saw

I don't know enough about either of the two saws to make a recommendation of one over the other. I'd suggest you do a Google search on the Delta. The results you find there might be enough to swing you one way or the other.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The Dewalt is a little benchtop (portable) model. The Delta should be more like a contractor style with an induction motor and belt drive. Can you find out more on the Delta and maybe post some pictures of it?

Comment

I checked, the delta saw was not belt driven. see the photos please.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would keep looking. I bet you'll find a real nice table saw over time. Is weight and/or space an issue?

Comment

I had that delta before I bought my TS3660. Good light saw for building decks, sheds, etc. Don't even look twice if you want to make woodworking projects that you will admit that you made! Good for paint grade work, not so good for stain grade. The fence is junk, the wings are flimsy, and what ultimately kills it is the direct drive motor is open frame which means the motor is full of sawdust all the time. The replacement motor costs 250/300 and it is not a standard frame. Mine was given to me so I got my moneys worth out of it! When it died, I put it out in the front yard with a sign "free to good home".

I felt the same way about used versus new, and searched high and low in my area for a used table saw. What I found were a lot of 200 dollar saws for 150, and Powermatic cabinet saws for 1000+. The good contractors style saws never seem to come available used, so I waited for the March April sales and bought a 3660. Couldn't be happier.
            Last edited by JTROANOKE; 05-05-2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              I would keep looking. I bet you'll find a real nice table saw over time. Is weight and/or space an issue?
              not really, just used at home/basement. weight and space are not important as long as the saw is good for home projects.

now a Ridgid TS2400 portable table saw is available on the market which is also 3 yrs old and ask for $250.
              Last edited by lmei007; 05-05-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                is good for home projects..........
                now a Ridgid TS2400 portable table saw is available on the market which is also 3 yrs old and ask for $250.
                I seriously consider buying it if it's in good shape and the seller is willing to drop the price down just a little.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Since you'll be using it in a shop and not toting it to a jobsite, a full size stationary saw has a bunch of advantages over the portables. Used contractor saws pop up frequently in our area so I guess it depends. $250 should buy you a nicer used saw than a 34-670, and a used 2400 at $250 isn't exactly a steal unless it's like new....and even then it's strengths aren't something you'll benefit from much (portability). I'd keep looking. Look for a full size cast iron saw that's 27"d x ~ 40" with a belt driven induction motor, and preferably a great fence.

Comment

Your questions on used saws sounds very familiar, I went through the same thing trying to save a buck or two. I finally decided to buy the TS3660 - no regrets and despite the stories I've read since, assembly went smooth.

I did not want a portable for the simple fact I do not want it leaving MY shop !

Comment

Working...
                    X