Question about doors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about doors

My rough opening is 26" x 66", what size prehung interior door do I order? Thanks

Sorry if posted in wrong forum....

Re: Question about doors

Are you sure about the 66" height? I ducked through a lot of doorways in Japan, but, damn...
    Rule of thumb is 2" on the width (you want a 24" door) and 2" on the height.
    Hope that helps.
    Jack

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
      Are you sure about the 66" height? I ducked through a lot of doorways in Japan, but, damn...
      Rule of thumb is 2" on the width (you want a 24" door) and 2" on the height.
      Hope that helps.
      There attic closet doors. So I would need to order a 24" x 64" door then right? Thanks

Comment

I see. With the heigth being 64" it's gonna be a cu$tom order. You'll also be limited on the door design. Some places may tell you it can't be made, but don't be discouraged, it can be done, they are just too lazy to look into it.
        Jack

Comment

Guessing it is an interior door,

you could jsut get a standard, 24" wide door, and cut it down yourself,

on a hollow core door, I would cut off the bottom and then cut a new filler piece, the width of the inside of the door and the length needed, knock out the other filler, (many times some cardboard) and used a chisel to clean off the glue, and then glue up the new block and slip it in the bottom and clamp it up, If you put a screw or two in the filler one can keep grip on it when putting it in the door cavity, remove when glue is dry, and sand the edges up if needed, and then cut off the frame to fit the opening as well, and install.
          (I have even used the table saw and trimmed off the "veneered covering" and reused the original filler block).

if it is solid core then you may cut off the filler frame, and run into a particle board filler, I would jsut seal it good. but as cheaply made as most doors are any more it may all ready have particle board edges.

If your wanting a steel sheeted exterior door then. (I have never cut one down but here is one persons idea of how to do it)
          http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article13.html
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X