X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Niki Stuff

Yes, our friend is gone... I received an email from his wife...
    ... see below...

=======================================

To: nissim avrahami
    Subject: Re:
    Date: Feb 20, 2010 12:40 PM

Dear Regina,

I, as well as the whole woodworking community, share your deep sorrow & loss.

We will never forget him!

His postings on his fabulous way of doing things will never die and many many people will benefit from his great work.

Thank you for informing me...

A very sad day...

I will inform others.

Joe Lyddon
    www.woodworkstuff.net

-----Original Message-----
    >From: nissim avrahami
    >Sent: Feb 20, 2010 1:14 AM
    >To: Joe Lyddon
    >Subject:
    >
    >I am very sorry to inform you that Niki has passed away on the 17th of february after long illness & was crimated yesterday.
    >
    >In deep sorrow His wife
    >Regina Avrahami
    >
    ============================================
    Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

It is hard to find words. While I am only an admirer of Niki's work, it would have been wonderful to have known him better. His many innovations and inventive projects were surely a benefit to many of us.

Niki will be missed and we are all saddened by his loss to his family, friends, and this community we were lucky to share with him.

CWS

Comment

Apologies in advance for dragging up an old thread, but I figured the folks here might be interested...

I'm Vaughn McMillan, a woodworker (woodturner, primarily) and a technical writer and editor. Although I don't recall posting here at the Ridgid forums, I've lurked for several years. (My TS3650 was the direct result of info I read here.) Some of you may know me from other woodworking forums. Like many of you, I was an online friend and admirer of Niki's.

At the request of Niki's widow Regina, I am working with her on a book project. We have begun gathering and cataloging all of Niki's tutorial posts from all the forums he posted to, and plan to publish them in paperback book form as a tribute to his work. It is Regina's intent to create a permanent and tangible record of Niki's ingenuity, and make it available (most likely via Amazon so it can be distributed worldwide) at an affordable cost to as many people as possible. Her motive is to share and honor, not profit. Regina has no book publishing experience, so when I told her that I do, she asked me to help. For the record, my only payment will be the knowledge that I'm helping to honor a man who selflessly helped thousands of other woodworkers.

As you likely know, Niki participated in quite a few forums around the world. I believe the Ridgid forum has one of the most comprehensive collections of Niki's tutorials. Although he often posted the same pictures and tutorials on different sites, the comments and questions that followed those posts differed from site to site, and those discussions often added details or clarity to Niki's original post. Gathering all of those posts is going to be a formidable task. (Due to copyright and content ownership issues, we don't plan to include all the posts from others, but we may decide to summarize specific questions and include Niki's answers in the book.)

I am mentioning this project to you, since we could use some help gathering questions and comments regarding Niki's posts on the Ridgid forums. I'm looking for someone who has the time and energy to extract Niki's threads (including the comments) from the forums here and put them into consolidated files (Word documents, preferably). We're mostly interested in the text since the photos were the same from forum to forum, but the photos would also be useful if you are able to include them.

If you can help, please send me a message at book [at] workingwoods.com. If you can't help, I understand and appreciate your time.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any bright ideas that might help us or the book, please don't hesitate to let me know.

All the best -

- Vaughn McMillan

Comment

Hi Vaughn , Here is a link that might help a little .http://lumberjocks.com/niki
          John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...d=112698715866

Comment

Vaughn,

I emailed you with some information...

Hope you get it OK.
            Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

Thanks John. I'd seen that but have it bookmarked now.

And thanks to you also, Joe. Got your e-mail, and you should have a reply from me.

Comment

God rest ye, Niki! You're sorely missed. Such a great, inventive mind and giving spirit. Thanks, Vaughn, for taking the time to get his works together. I can't wait to get a few copies of the publication once it's completed!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
                  I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by putting all these great ideas into one post...
                  Thank you and keep them coming Niki!
                  Thank you for the reminder & posting... Niki was a great man... it's nice to keep his work alive.

Here is a link to a very large PDF file that contains a lot of Nikis work.
                  WARNING... Be prepared for a very long download.

Comment

Thank you, Joe. Although I haven't chimed in here in quite a while, I do lurk occasionally. You or whoever put that PDF together did a great job. It was something I kept telling myself to do, but could never find the time.
                    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I did NOT have anything to do with making the PDF file.

Niki's widow found documents and, I think, with the help of Vaughn McMillan (see Post #18 of this thread), prepared and published the PDF file for the internet.

I'm not sure if it contains ALL of Niki's Tips, etc. but there is a lot of them!

Glad I was able to track it down so fast.

Thank you for putting some more spark in the tank!

Comment

No Niki you are not over stepping at .Your ideas make my life easy thanks for all the ideas Vic

Comment

Thankyou for putting the post of this genious do a man living. I have come back to look at,and use His great post! I have to thank all who made this possibal
                          Saved: and so greatful, consider who created it ALL

Comment

Re: Niki Stuff - drill press hold down link

The link on sticky Niki's stuff for the drill press hold down is the same as the one above for knobs - any chance of correcting this? - I use these all the time - Niki had such simple yet brilliant idea's, I keep meaning to post something I made from the inspiration of these.

Comment

Re: Niki Stuff - drill press hold down link

Originally posted by Rafe Zetter View Post
                              The link on sticky Niki's stuff for the drill press hold down is the same as the one above for knobs - any chance of correcting this? - I use these all the time - Niki had such simple yet brilliant idea's, I keep meaning to post something I made from the inspiration of these.
                              After doing a Search on "Niki" and looking through the List, this is the best I could find...
                              ... I hope it's what you were looking for...

Drill-Press - holding wheels and small parts
                              https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t15287/

Comment

Oh - sorry for taking so long to reply Joe - I meant that niki stuff list number 3 listed as : "Drill Press Hold down for round parts:" is using the same link as the one above it showing homemade knob handles.

As for the list...I look at it all the time, like the last couple of days for how I'm going to make my router table.

I'd be very interested in a collection of Niki's idea's - I've got the PDF already , but I'm sure I've missed loads....

Comment

Working...
                                X