X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Wood to Paint?

I'm going to make some cabinet doors, just some shaker style i guess you could say. A 2-1/2 inch stile and rail with a 1/4" plywood or mdf center panel. What's the best wood to make the rail and stiles with if I want to paint them? Or does it matter. Cost could be a factor..what else to take into consideration?

Thanks

Re: Best Wood to Paint?

imho poplar takes paint great and is cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      imho poplar takes paint great and is cost effective.
      Yep, poplar here too.

Comment

I'd also go with Poplar. It costs a bit more than pine, but it works nicely and takes paint without a lot of extra fuss.

Pine is temptingly cheaper and though I've had some success with it in the past, the stuff available in my area is very high in pitch and all too many knots, which will bleed through even with a primer. It's recommended that you put a coat or two of shellac to act as a barrier to keep the knots from bleeding through. But in the long run, I think you're ahead of the game with Poplar.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Before you paint make sure you ease the edges. Paint and sharp edges don't mix, the paint will start to peel at any sharp edge. If you make a raised or fielded panel make sure to ease all those edges also. One door in my kitchen needs attention because I wasn't vigilant enough when it came to sanding the edges. Stupid on my part, now I can do it again.

Tom

Comment

Prep, prep, prep, prime, prep, finish. Use the best primer, which is important. To make it even a better finish, spray it on....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Poplar is good for painting but there is a reason professional cabinet makers and companies are starting to use maple more and more for painting. It will outlast poplar hands down and takes paint just as good if not better. Poplar drinks paint, as it does with anything you put on it, maple doesn't tend to do that nearly as bad. I know you said cost may be a factor but think about it. Also remember that Maple is hard hard hard so it is pretty mean on blades and such but once you get used to it you'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
                Poplar is good for painting but there is a reason professional cabinet makers and companies are starting to use maple more and more for painting. It will outlast poplar hands down and takes paint just as good if not better. Poplar drinks paint, as it does with anything you put on it, maple doesn't tend to do that nearly as bad. I know you said cost may be a factor but think about it. Also remember that Maple is hard hard hard so it is pretty mean on blades and such but once you get used to it you'll love it.
                Ive used Poplar for years for painted wood projects. Recently my local lumber yard went out of buisness and Ive had to go elsewhere. I have a yard now that is much better, has more products, but is 20 miles further away. That being said, they have a "paint grade maple" which is just slightly more expensive than poplar. Maple is tougher, but Poplar is still my recomendation

Comment

I thought of another mistake I made that might help you. Certainly, as Garager said, spraying is the way to go if you can. If you decide to paint by brush keep track of your door orientation as they will hang relative to light source. I have a cabinet over my stove and the doors are wider than they are high. When I painted, by brush in the shop, I oriented them with the longer side up as the rest of the doors are. Mistake. When I hung them the brush marks now are horizontal and at right angles the the light source over the stove. If you look closely you can see slight shadows from the brush marks. No one else can see it but I can.

One of the famous paint guys, I can't remember his name said remember the five Fs. Fine Finishers Finish Firewood First.

I made my doors and drawer fronts from poplar. I made the fielded panels in the doors from Baltic Birch plywood. My single drawers, directly beneath the counter, are Baltic birch sides and bottoms. I knocked out the shelves in the lower cabinets and made pull out shelves, with over extenstion slides, with poplar sides and Baltic Birch bottoms. All drawers are dovetailed. So far, about three years, there has been no indication of structural failure.

Tom

Comment

If you have kids, especially younger kids, get maple over poplar. Kids are hard on everything, and maple I'm sure will hold up better than poplar with kid abuse.

My 4 yr old boy, earlier in the week found a rusty masonary nail in the yard and decided he wanted to to see if he could scribe "scribble scratch" on the glass TV screen. Guess what, yes he could!!!!! I don't think any wood will hold up to that type of abuse, but you see my point : )

Just 2 cents with 2 boys 4 & 6 yrs.

Comment

i second poplar as first choice and maple as a second choice based on abuse 1st, and cost 2nd.
                      peace
                      m

Comment

Working...
                      X