Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3660 Assembly Question

Hello All,

Usual story - new memeber, read all your reviews and have been reading posts for a couple of months. Went out and bought my first table saw - the TS3660 (paid 494.50 with my 10% off coupon - bought in NH so no sales tax).

Have spent a couple hours a night the past few days putting it together. I just finished putting the rails on and checking the fence. The instructions say the fence should move freely - but it squeaks something awful because of the two white plastic tabs. I read somewhere that I could use a small amount of my Johnson's wax on the rails to fix this. Is this the best solution?

Also, I feel like the assembly has been too easy - I haven't had any problems or anything to adjust yet. The rail extensions and hercu-lift required effort but I got them on just fine....maybe the motor mounting will be less fun

Thanks!

Sorry - perhaps should have put message in PowerTools forum....
    Last edited by DexterDearborn; 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM. Reason: Proper Forum?

Re: TS 3660 Assembly Question

Welcome Dexter. Go ahead an use some Johnson's Paste Wax on your rails. It won't hurt a thing. I'm not sure why your getting a squeal when you slide the fence though. I just tried to get mine to do it but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to make a sound. Have you adjusted the fence lock down setup?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Welcome Dexter. Go ahead an use some Johnson's Paste Wax on your rails. It won't hurt a thing. I'm not sure why your getting a squeal when you slide the fence though. I just tried to get mine to do it but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to make a sound. Have you adjusted the fence lock down setup?
      When I first put together my saw I got the squeal too. The paste wax fixed it right up.

Comment

Mine squealed also. Paste wax cured it. I think it may be something that gets on the tabs during mnfgr.,

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

So the 3650 and 3660 share some things in common! My rails squeaked too. I put some wax on them and the squeak went away immediately. I haven't had to re-apply since. The fence moves smooth and noiselessly still.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks to all - I put the wax on and it slides much better.

I finished assembly and turned that bad boy on last night. I was amazed at how quiet it is. One more coat of wax and I will put it to use!

Comment

since my search brought me to this post i will ask my ts3660 assembly question here...

i just finished assembly and still have set-up/adjustment to do.

but---has anyone else had any parts left when you were supposed to be finished? i don't mean extra shim washers. i have exactly (3) 1/4-20 x 3/4 square head bolts and (3) 1/4-20 hex flange nuts.

these items are in their own separate blister area on the LARGE blister pack (3 bolts, sealed and 3 nuts, sealed).

whan i assemble something as powerful and as dangerous as this tool could be, when i see stuff still sittin there...well, i start feeling BAD JU-JU.

i have combed thru the manual mayby 6-8 times and i don't even see an instruction calling for these parts.

folks, i apologize if you feel i am being stupid or annoying, but there is just too much possibly at stake if i hosed this up. and geesh, if i can't put the darn thing together correctly, then i maybe shouldn't even have it

sorry for my rant

ps--named my ts3660 melissa!!! that was my daughter's name..lost her in 1995 to some drunken fool. she was tough, powerfull a sight to look at and do things together with

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe they are to attach a piece of sacrificial wood (not included) to the fence slots.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                  I may be wrong, but I believe they are to attach a piece of sacrificial wood (not included) to the fence slots.
                  Yep! I had the same thing on my 3650, and couldn't figure out until I read through the entire stickied thread on putting together the saw. The 3 bolts are for attaching items to the slots on the fence. I've got mine on a board I use for a sacrificial fence for dados. Nice of them to include these as they're REALLY hard to find!
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

thank you kindly...both of you. makes sense after reading it...DUH!!

and a word of thanks also about the sticky...i am currentl reading it all from the beginning.

wow...seems some folks had bigger problems that have since been solved, as i am sure i'll discover as i follow the thread up to the most current posts. and danged if that question about the 3 extra bolts was right there and answered---so long ago.

apology for being redundant offered to all

again, thanks for the help and even more for the patience dealing with my questions.

Comment

My 3360 had the squeal and when I looked closer I discovered that it was the micro adjuster making all the noise. I waxed the rails and that took care of it

Comment

Originally posted by kxstewart View Post
                        but---has anyone else had any parts left when you were supposed to be finished? i don't mean extra shim washers. i have exactly (3) 1/4-20 x 3/4 square head bolts and (3) 1/4-20 hex flange nuts.
                        I know this was already answered, that they are for attaching accessories to the fence.

But it is "sorta" in the manual. Well, really in the detailed parts list addendum to the manual. I don't have it here with me but I remember looking and looking to figure out what they were for. One one of the detail drawings, they show them with the lines pointing to the fence.

Nice to have on hand. I've used them a few times for attaching a rabbetting fence when the C-clamps I wanted to use were getting in the way.

Comment

my 3660 is a fine saw. i am extremely pleased with the performance over the old ryobi bt 3000 that i had ,no disrespect to ryobi owners. my fence squealed also like most of the other posts and a little wax solved the problem. like many others the 7 1/8 mark didnt line up. but rahter than worring over it, becaue of blade chages and other variances, i always measure to set the blade. im not even close to an expert, but i think an expert would say meassure and never depend on a saws tape measure. they are a plastic strip and like my tackle box tape can stretch when they are applied. i may be corrected and probably will, i will always measure twice and cut once,then if i mess up i will cut again. lol

Comment

Levon
                            If the 7 1/8 mark did not line up, you have to adjust the front rip fence to line up with the edge of the main table. Where did the fence make noise? If it is when you slid the fence across the top you have to raise the front fence rail. Once the fence is set then you need to lock the fence on an inch mark such as 6 inches and the check with your tape measure to make sure the plastic piece and the red line are on. Mine was off by 1/4 inch. Then adjust the plastic piece to read the same as what your fence is set at.

Comment

you can set the 71/8 but if you change blades the thickness for the blade will change thew setting. i will measure to make sure my piesces are cut to specs, rahter than relying on a plastic tape. 9 out of ten people had their fences squeal. wax did the trick, no disrespect but i dont think everyones rail was off.

Comment

Working...
                              X