aux.Fence help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aux.Fence help

I'm making my aux fence for my dado head& molding Head. I'm have trouble I need to cut an arc in the fence to let the molding head move freely. I have no ideas what size the arc should be. Also on this fence I'm trying to make an adjustable hold down and guard. Thanks

[ 06-09-2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Andy B. ]
    Andy B.

Andy, the way I was taught to do this is to make the solid auxiliary fence, move it to over the blade (moulding or dado) and lock, and raise the spinning blade into it. You raise the blade a little higher than you will be using it for clearance.

And, before doing this you double-check that you aren't going to hit the fence. Happily this never happened to me, but I know people who have done it.

Dave

Comment

For the fence's "arc", place the aux fence over the blade to the correct position with the blade down. Turn on the saw and raise the blade into the aux fence to the height you want (the arc shouldn't and doesn't need to to all the way through the aux fence). This method also gives zero clearance. I made mine out of MDF because it is cheap so I can make new ones readily for zero clearance (helps with dust collection). As for hold-downs I use board-buddies.

Comment

looks like between the time I hit reply and send Dave beet me to the punch [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys.
          Andy B.

Comment

Rasing the dado head into the stock will work, but not for the molding head according to the molding head manual.
            Andy B.

Comment

Rasing the dado head into the stock will work, but not for the molding head according to the molding head manual.
              Andy B.

Comment

If the moulding head is the same diameter as your dado, use the dado. If not, it gets trickier, depending on why the moulder cannot make it's own clearance cut. If you say why the cut cannot get made, perhaps we can come up with a solution.

Dave

Comment

I'm not going to say what I would probably do for the fence because it could end up with pieces of wood and carbide flying all over [img]smile.gif[/img] (depending on how correct the manual is about raising the cutter head). I will say that I would probably do it very slowly, checking progress often to "feel" what is going on, and maybe stick a piece of plate metal or thick wood between the molding cutter and me!

A much safer and smarter option: I assume that the molding cutter is 7", go to harbor freight and get a very cheap 7" dado for when you have this application. I saw one online for $4 and one for around $15. They were adjustable, not stack ,but I would think that would work for this.

Comment

I'm going to put the daod in and bring it up.
                    Andy B.

Comment

Working...
                    X