X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rip fence alignment problem on 3612

I have a problem with my rip fence that has been addressed here before. Close to the blade, it is dead on. farther it gets away from the blade, the rear of the deflects out to about ~0.01. According to the past posts, I checked the parallelism of the rails. Using shims, the rails are now parallel. But problem still exists. I used about 50 different combination of shims, but nothing changes. What else could cause this problem?

noahdaddy

Does your fence touch your table anywhere along the tracing along the 36 inches?

Jake

Comment

no. my fence does not touch the table.

Comment

not sure if this will help but after i put mine together was getting a little bit of upcut near the end. Checked everything with feeler gauges, etc. Finally tweaked the rip fence again (loosen the four bolts)and now seems parallel from front to rear. I used a vernier caliper to measure from the miter gauge track to the fence. Made sure same distance in front and back. Worked for me.

Comment

I have had and still do have this ame problem. I've spent all the time I'm going to trying to fix it. I finally just offset the back of the fence away from the blade enouhg so that no matter where I lock the fence down it is either parallel to the blade or slightly away. This seems to work fine and the saw cuts great. However, I live and learn. Next fence for me will be a bies or clone. Period.

Comment

had the same problem with my ts 3612,turns out my 2 extensions were machined out of square so when you attach them to the saw and then you attach the rails it acts just like an arc,just get something straight and lay it against the rail and if this is your problem call ridgid customer service and they will send you 2 new extensions ,i got mine in approx. 4 days.

Comment

I got it to align ok (~.005). I had spent too many hours trying different combination of shims to finally get it to where I can live with it. My extensions are out of square about 1/32. I know I am slightly bending the rails because fence is dead on near the blade and bent about 0.005 toward the blade in the rear around 12" from the blade. Then near the right extension and beyond, it is dead on again. This is the result of many hours of trial and error. I am not totally comfortable with the set-up since I am warping the rails, though very slight. Do you think I should just order new wings? My fear is that the new wings won't be square either and me having to go through the whole ordeal again. Is it significant enough where I should get new wings?
              noahdaddy

Comment

I think you should try to get new wings. You can check them for square before installing them. If your fence is cocked toward the blade at the rear you are looking at the possibility of burnt wood and a real danger of increased kick-back.
                Hope things work out.
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

When you say your wings are out of square do you mean

they are warped

They lift up a little bit

Or they're truly the wrong shape to be able to line up evenly with saw.

If they're the 2nd option, lifting up or down. Just put a postie note toward top or bottom of cast iron on both ends. 1 or 2 sheets should do the trick and level out. I was not aware that the 3650 had any problems with wing being out of square except for one incident I read about.

Jake

Comment

Don't bother with the new wings, etc. Just get it close and make sure that the fence is never closer to the blade at the rear of the fence. As long as it's further away at the rear along the whole length of the fence, it should be fine. I mean we're talking 100th's of inches here

Comment

Jake- He has a 3612, not a 3650.
                      gmack-I agree that it is better for the back of the fence to be further away from the blade (this is actually recommended by some experts) but if he can get new wings for free and solve his problem why should he settle for "close". I beg to differ, but a couple thousandths one way or the other can make the difference between a clean safe cut and a burnt dangerous cut.IMHO

[ 02-20-2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I agree Loraz a couple of thousands can make a difference, if it's the fence going toward the blade in the rear. But as long as the fence is going away from the blade in the rear, you shouldn't get any wood burn. As for getting the new wings, I also agree, if he wants to spend all that time attempting to align the fence again

Comment

Sorry Lorax... called you by the wrong handle earlier

Comment

Working...
                          X