Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Mortise Jig - The test

Good day

So, I made the "Rolling mortise jig" and the "Router lift" and I had to test it.

I started the first mortise by cranking the "Lift" up 3~4 turns and push-pull the sled and another 3~4 turns and another push-pull.

But then, I realized that actually there is no "Fence side" and I can push or pull the sled.

I ended up working simultaneously with both hands...the left hand pushing and pulling the sled and the right hand, rotating the Lift continuously...every mortise took me some 15~20 seconds (1-7/8" long and 25/32" deep).

I cannot tell how long took me to make all the 8 mortises because taking the pics (136) in-between took me much more time than all the mortising.

The jig is not limited only to "edge mortising", if you mark the mortise location, remove the "sled stops", and align the marking with the "locator", you can make it anywhere along the board.

Regards
    niki

Re: Rolling Mortise Jig - The test

Comment

Originally posted by niki View Post
      I cannot tell how long took me to make all the 8 mortises because taking the pics (136) in-between took me much more time than all the mortising.
      Niki,

Thanks for taking all the time to document your process with the pictures. I am sure that for every picture we see, there are a bunch more that don't come out or show exactly what you want; and that it greatly slows down your process. Then afterwards you need to organize and comment all of them. I just hope that the photos and writing the description is as much fun for you as making the jig.

Comment

Thank you so much Cpw

My father told me (or was it somebody else );

"If you know something and you did not tell others...it's like you never knew it..."

Yes, it takes some time to take the pictures and it sure slows down the work but...I'm an retired amateur and time is something that I have almost unlimited.

During day time, I'm enjoying in the garage (or digging holes for my wife's trees) and at the evening, instead of watching some stupid TV program (except the "Discovery Science" that I like so much), I sit and organize the pics and the text...

Regards
        niki

Comment

Working...
        X