X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Pealing on MDF

I built a built-in desk & book shelves for my wife's little office. She wanted it all painted white so I used 3/4" MDF. We primed & painted (2x). There spots were things (like a lamp) put on it pull off the paint when lifted off the surface.

What would cuase this...is there a special MDF paint you're suppose to use?

Thanks,
    Hef

Re: Paint Pealing on MDF

What kind of paint did you use water based or oil based?

Comment

Did you scuff-sand the MDF face surfaces prior to priming?

I've found that the factory surface of MDF is often times a bit too slick for the primer to form a good bond. If you removed the lamp and you're looking at bare MDF (versus looking at primer), then the primer didn't bond and your problem lies there.

If you are looking at primer where the lamp was, then the paint didn't bond and you might have inconsistent forumlas or painted too soon. I.e latex paint over an oil based primer that wasn't *fully* cured.

Comment

It could be a few things, including the paint that you used. But most likely, the surface of the MDF could have been damp or greasy.

I don't particularly care for MDF, but on the couple of occasions that I've used it, I wipe the surface down with mineral spirits to remove any contamination that may be there.

I've used Behr paint and I really like it, but I notice that the stuff takes some time to "cure". While it may well be dry, the painted seems rather vulnerable for the first several days, scratching or abrading easily. But once it hardens, the surface is pretty durable.

CWS

Comment

If the paint stuck to the bottom of the lamp, it probably had not fully cured. If it was humid, or is when you repaint, allow double the recommended drying time.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I find the MDF I use needs to be wiped down with spirits before painting. At worst mdf seems to have a thin greasy film on it, at best it is bit dust covered, neither case is good for painting.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
            X