Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424

Ok, here goes.

I can go to HD and purchase a TS2424 or a TS3612. I can also go to the local Delta dealer and purchase a Delta 36-485 for, let’s say, $200 more. For the difference, I gain the solid cast iron extension (I understand it doesn’t allow for easy clamping of feather boards, etc.), the melamine table to the right, and (the most beneficial addition, I think) the commercial grade (30”) Biesemeyer fence. (I see where Biesemeyer is offering an after market fence, (only in the home grade) for the TS2424, but it costs more than $200.)

I lose the Herc-U-Lift™, the support forum, the lifetime warranty (which I’m not sure is of any value), and what else??

I own, and am very happy with, the TS2400 and TP1300. I hope I’m not missing something.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jim B.

Welcome,

I won't try to sell you or compare the two saws but I will tell you what I like about my TS2424. First as far as the extension wings go I have never pinched my fingers as some have about the open web wings. And yes there are great for clamping feather boards and other various jigs to the top of the saw. There are every bit as sturdy as the solid cast iron wings. Some complain about the fence because it locks at the front and back of the saw. This is true, "IT LOCKS DOWN TIGHT", there is not any play when locked down. You could drag the saw around the shop or even pick the saw up on the fence side with the fence locked. If rip capacity is an issue, rather than buy an aftermarket fence system you can slide the rails on the TS2424 over to the right to gain more capacity. Many others have done this and can rip in the neighborhood of 30" to 34". I haven't moved mine but I rarely rip anything on the tablesaw over 20" to 24". As far as the 2424 or 3612 I would opt for the 2424. The major reason being you can convert the motor over to run on 220v current. I just did this last weekend and what a difference it made. Faster spool ups and a cooler running motor are always a good thing. What can I say about the Herculift? It's great. Makes moving the saw a breeze. How many of us actually benefit from a life time warranty? Not too many, but it is nice to know it is there if the product fails in some way. Gotta run but I hope this gives some info you are looking for.

Gregg

Comment

Jim---personally, I think both brands have a lot to offer---to me, it's a matter of accessories included and cost comparrison.

I've said it before---that buying a saw, with an upgraded fence already on it is good value--since you're not paying money for a stock fence you may not be happy with. Don't care how improved the Rigid fence is--it's still a two-point fence and can't be compared to a Biesemeyer or other aftermarket fences.

So, considering Rigid includes a lot more stuff, than does the Delta you mentioned, take the Rigid price and add the cost of a baisic Biesemeyer Home Shop Fence (although personally, I'd go with the 50" instead). Then, compare that price to the Delta---don't forget to add the cost of a mobile base (if you need one) and other goodies like a dado insert, etc., which I hear Rigid includes with the 2424. Unless you're going to never use one of these extras---their cost adds up fast.

Barring some deep discount deal you find, I would predict that the Rigid would still come out slightly ahead in value.
      Dave

Comment

What does a 'two-point' fence infer? That it locks down front and back? If so, isn't that a good thing?
        Thanh Rodke<br />Woodworker Stuck in a Computer Geek\'s Body...

Comment

Thanh--not really. First, it requires that both front and rear rail be dead-on parallel. Second, the rear of the fence is locked using some sort of adjustable rods or linkage, to lock the rear of the fence---which can lock in a point different (read not aligned) with the front of the fence. Rigid's design at least has one action to square the fence to the rail, before locking---it's better, but none are as accruate as the simpler T-Square design, just locking on front rail. Not to say you can't get a reasonable degree of accuracy from a two-point fence---it just isn't as easy to keep in line.

A fence not aligned can make for bad cuts. A fence not aligned, where the rear toes in towards the blade is darned dangerous due to kickback.
          Dave

Comment

Before you buy the Delta contractor saw turn the height adjustment crank. When I do my hands come up and hits the underside of the fence hardware or the table. Now try the Ridgid the crank is about 6 inches lower and there is nothing in the way.

To me this is a big consideration and so far the only saws that have this clearance is the cabinet saws (unisaw and jet), Ridgid contractor and the Dewalt 746.

I can't see buying saw that everytime I want to raise the blade I have to watch how I hold the crank so as not to skin my knuckles.

Now look at the saw guard. Look how it is attached to the saw can it be easily removed? How about easily replaced. Not many people are going to go to the bother of putting the delta or jet saw guard back in place.

On the subject of saw guards remember you can by after market accessories like stand alone kerf splitters for the Jet and delta but as far as I know there are none for the Ridgid

Look at the service to me unless you have a delta dealer in town service could be an issue. Same for Dewalt, however Ridgid has Ridgid service centers plus HD will do exchanges if you keep the receipt and packing material.

To me there are only three choices for a saw. The ridgid ts2424, the Dewalt 746 and delta unisaw.

I like the price and herculift of the ridgid, I like all the after market accessories for the delta unisaw, but hate the price. Right now the Dewalt 746 is a strong leader because of features and engineering, but price is still an obstacle.

Right now I'm using the son in laws unisaw or my shopsmith so I'm going to be sure before I buy. I'm kind of waiting for the TS3612 to see what it offers before I jump.
            Rev Ed

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys.

Gregg: I totally agree with your assessment of solid versus open wings (I could go either way). However, mobility on the other hand, especially in my wife’s garage, is an important feature. You’re right, as far as ripping something over 24 or 36 inches, my 77 can take care of those chores. Regarding the motor on the 2424 and the 3612, the Ridgid Website says they’re both convertible (though they also said the 3612 had an aluminum table at first, so who knows). Does the TS2424 package come with the 220V cord cap and pigtail or do you have to purchase those separately? Also, what amperage breaker/wire size did you use to make the conversion? Did you make an extension cord (if so, how long, etc.) or do you connect directly in to an outlet?

Dave: Good points about the fence and the accessories. I especially liked your comments about the fence, since it is one of the most, if not the most important component of a saw. And you’re right, if I had room for a 50” I would definitely go that way. As far as which comes out ahead in value, it’s hard to say at this point since I still have more data to compile.

Rev Ed: Because of you, I’ve had to run around town checking out height adjustment cranks, blade guards (configuration, ease of modification, and aftermarket accessories, etc.), etc., etc. Thank you, these are things I hadn’t considered comparing. After checking the different brands (I do like that little aftermarket pop-up guard), I found that the Delta contractors saw fits my hand ok. So for me, that narrows the field down to the Ridgid TS2424/3612, the Delta Contractors saw in some configuration, and the same with the Jet. At this point in my life, I can’t justify buying a Unisaw. I agree that the Dewalt is out of the running based on features and price alone. Living in San Diego, service centers aren’t a problem. BTW, thinking of you and your son-in-law, my dad has offered me both his ShopSmith and his Unisaw. The trouble is I don’t have room for his ShopSmith and his Unisaw (although it was rebuilt in the 60’s) is a 1946 vintage and even after admiring the heavy cast iron truninons and triple belt drive, I don’t want it. With that thought in mind, he also has a Delta long-bed jointer and a floor model shaper he’s trying to get me to take, but I think I’ll opt for new.

I’ll keep you posted to my progress in making a decision and in the mean time I’ll be using my TS2400 which to date has proved to be a very capable machine.

Thanks again,

Jim B
              Jim B.

Comment

Im a new guy but here is my .02. The 2424 is a nice saw. Mine is smooth running the fence is extremely tight (will not budge) and accurate (within .015 using tape on rail). The motor is very strong even using the 110v in my garage and I think everyone likes the built in herculift wheels. I only have two things I think could be improved on; one is the table and wings finish could be smoother (rough machining)and two is the tilt lock. My lock seems to move the blade a little when tighted. I shopped around alot looking at jet, grizzly, crapsman, and delta and would buy the ridgid again in a minute.
                God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now Im so far behind I may never Die!

Comment

Working...
                X