Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood question

Hey guys,

I got a steal of a deal on a dining table top that had no legs a few months ago and so I though I would make my sister a new table. being cheeeaaap as I am I was just going to use 3/4 birth plywood and miter 4 pieces together to make a tapered 4 x 4 (or so) leg. I could do the whole thing out of 1 sheet.

I got a peice of ply from HD (that was made in china) and when I got it home was ripping it into strips (90 degree cut) before I mitered the edges with a router bit.

Everytime I tried to make a cut the veneer splintered so bad I can use it. I can pull the veneer off in sheets with just my fingers. I put in a brand new blade (carbide 24 tooth on a 7 1/4" in my mag 77) I use a panel cutting jig. I keep my blade about a 1/4" above the cut. Also tried to use my table saw same result.

My question is, is there such a thing as bad plywood? I have seen some woodworking videos that say stick to domestic ply. I have been poor for some time now (lol) and use birch ply for lots of things. I have never had a problem before now.

Any advise would be great

Thanks

Re: Plywood question

Originally posted by stevieP View Post
    Hey guys,

I got a steal of a deal on a dining table top that had no legs a few months ago and so I though I would make my sister a new table. being cheeeaaap as I am I was just going to use 3/4 birth plywood and miter 4 pieces together to make a tapered 4 x 4 (or so) leg. I could do the whole thing out of 1 sheet.

I got a peice of ply from HD (that was made in china) and when I got it home was ripping it into strips (90 degree cut) before I mitered the edges with a router bit.

Everytime I tried to make a cut the veneer splintered so bad I can use it. I can pull the veneer off in sheets with just my fingers. I put in a brand new blade (carbide 24 tooth on a 7 1/4" in my mag 77) I use a panel cutting jig. I keep my blade about a 1/4" above the cut. Also tried to use my table saw same result.

My question is, is there such a thing as bad plywood? I have seen some woodworking videos that say stick to domestic ply. I have been poor for some time now (lol) and use birch ply for lots of things. I have never had a problem before now.

Any advise would be great

Thanks
    You might try a blade with more teeth that is designed for plywood. I think HD has cheap ones for circ saws for about $5. You'll probably want to try it even if you go get more expensive plywood.

Comment

Thanks for the advise, I have some plywood blades that are HSS. It seems I tried using them awaile back and they burned the wood but let me try that again!

Appreciate the help

Comment

Yes, there are bad plywood....

Get a plywood from a local lumber yard instead.

I'm not sure if I like your idea for legs, if it was for my sister, hey I would make it pretty nice looking with real wood....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Like suggested more teeth for sure, another trick is to give a few reverse(sticky side out) wraps with masking tape and cut through the tape. This works well when cutting down hollow core doors and might prevent the splintering. Slow and easy with your saw!

Comment

Originally posted by stevieP View Post
            ..... I can pull the veneer off in sheets with just my fingers.....
            Bad plywood, the veneer should never come off

Comment

Sounds like low quality ply but the blade looks like it has a lot to do with it too. You need something with a higher tooth count even if you were to use higher quality wood. What blade did you try for the table saw? You can pick up some reasonable quality carbide tipped blades that will do a much better job. Try something like the Dewalt construction series. I think I've seen a two pack of 60t blades go for like $30.They don't cut quite as perfectly as a high end plywood blade but will give substantially cleaner cuts.

Comment

Thanks guys I shall try all of your idea's.

garager, now that I have a thickness planer and jointer, I might just use the rough sawn oak 8 x 8's I have been carrying around for the last 5 years!! Thanks again

Comment

Bad plywood! A sharper blade with more teeth will help, but the plywood from Home Depot definitely sucks.

I recently bought a couple of sheets (birch veneer) from HD, as it was more convenient to do so at the time. I've learned my lesson... it would have been better to drive twice the distance and pay a little more.

The veneer is only about 3 to 5 mil thick, and it splinters really bad, even with a brand-new blade Freud blade. Cutting with the grain, the cut was pretty clean, but cutting cross-grain, it was all too nasty.

Actually the adhesion of the veneer seems rather poor as it doesn't take much to lift it with a finger nail, on a clean cut edge. Just really poor manufacturing I think.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X