X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor paint spayer

I purchased a air compressor/3nail gun set from Lowes. I got a lot of use from it for a crown molding project and am very happy with it (for my level of skill). I want to buy a paint sprayer for it and the sprayer says it needs 5.7 at 40 psi. My compressor does 3.6 at 40 psi.

Can i use the paint sprayer at all? If it will work, will it just need to charge the tank more often?

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Air Compressor paint spayer

You can use it but only if you pull the trigger a few seconds at a time. That's unless you have a large size air storage tank. Cycling an air compressor on and off over time will kill the motor and the pressure switch along with other parts. For any serious paint spraying you need serious air and it must be clean and moisture free. If you only do small projects you might try it and just take it easy on your compressor.

Hint: For the first use with trigger pulled and no paint in the spray gun, set the regulator as per instructions. Then shut off air and disconnect the spray gun. Next fill the cup with clean water and then put things back together. Now try spraying the water and see how your compressor behaves. If the spray gun just takes too much air, dry it out well and return it. Spraying clean water should give you a good idea of air usage.

Normally for any serious paint spraying work you'll need way more air. Something like 8 CFM at 50 PSI if not even more. Keep in mind that when you let go of the trigger you aren't using air. You need to figure in the duty cycle. Normally a tank under 30 gallons just doesn't work out for much paint spraying.

Be sure you have a good air filter in front of a good pressure regulator. You can get combination filter regulators. Be sure to blast out any water or dirt in your air hose(s) before connecting to a spray gun. It's good to wash them with water and then blast air through the hose to clean it out. Be sure to hold the end or you'll have a wicked whipping from your air hose blowing about.

Goggles and a paint spray respirator are a must. Protect yourself as best you can.
    Last edited by Woussko; 05-17-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

If your doing ocassional smaller projects it will be fine. The pump will run almost continuosly but it will handle it. If you plan on painting a car were the gun is going to be spraying nearly continuosly for minutes at a time then no. Be sure to get a moisture/particle filter and ideally a dissecant dryer after it as well. Water mist will really ruin your project, particularly with oil based solvents/paints.

Comment

You might want to note that "spraying water" after you use your gun is okay, as long as it's water based paint. If it's oil based, you'll have a heck of a mess on your hands.

Regarding the size (tank size and cfm/pressure requirements), you're definitely undersized for the gun that you described. It's just not going to be enough even for intermittant operation. Besides, doing a spit-spit-spit operation isn't going to do much for your finish either.

However, there's a couple of things you can do... provide an auxilliary tank to extend the amount of pressurized air available or find a smaller gun, like a "spotting" gun. If your objects were small, or you were only doing detail or trim, you could even go with an airbrush, which would work fine with the small tank.

I used to have a twin-tank, wheel barrow-type compressor that supplied about 5-6 cfm at 40 psi. I used it for years with a spotting gun (pint-size container with top finger lever... Home Depot sells their brand gun for about $30. It was excellent for spraying finishes and I used it to refinish my Walnut coffee table, chair and couch. I also used it to spray thinned out latex, where it did a great job on my exterior doors, interior vinyl shutters, etc.

By comparison, I now have a 33-gal tank Craftsman unit that does about 9 cfm at 40 psi. I used it with a full-sized (auto-finish type) siphon feed gun to stain my deck. It worked okay, but the compressor came on a lot. That particular gun really requires more air than the tank can keep up with. BTW, the nozzle is too fine to even attempt to spray even thinned down latex.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I am not looking to paint a lot. Just things like a dresser and an out door bench.

The compressor is the small bosch ( 2 hp?) and comes with a 6 gallon tank.

Lowes has a painting kit for 60.00 that has a medium size and small size sprayer with accessories. i was thinking that it would be enough for what I want to do.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by dnmann View Post
            Thanks for the answers. I am not looking to paint a lot. Just things like a dresser and an out door bench.

The compressor is the small bosch ( 2 hp?) and comes with a 6 gallon tank.

Lowes has a painting kit for 60.00 that has a medium size and small size sprayer with accessories. i was thinking that it would be enough for what I want to do.

Does that make sense?
            You'll get what you pay for, does that make any sense. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just telling you the truth. Go buy 6 cans of spray paint, its cheaper and it does a decent job....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
            X