X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Control

Can someone please tell me whats the big difference (apart from the obvious)between a cyclone and a regular dust colector.

Thanks

A cyclone is a dual stage unit that collects fine dust in one stage and larger material in a second stage.
    A bag (or cannister) system is (typically) a single stage and collects fine dust and large material in the same stage (bag).
    If you go with a single stage dust collector look for one that has a metal impellor. The metal is more resistant to the beating that the impellor gets.
    You would be suprised some of the things that 'accidentally' gets sucked through a dust collector.
    I have a 1-1/2 hp single stage dust collector from Penn State Industries (www.pennstateind.com).
    Also, try to get the finest bag size you can afford (between 1-10 microns). Currently, Penn State Ind. has 1 micron bags. Avoid 30 micron bags.
    Good luck,
    Steve

Comment

Adding one of those trash can cyclone seperator lids (about $25 + the trash can and some 4" hose) can help catch some of the big stuff, but its not as good as a true 2 stage cyclone system.

Comment

Adding one of those trash can cyclone seperator lids (about $25 + the trash can and some 4" hose) can help catch some of the big stuff ....
        I have one on my system. It's great for the larger chips kicked out by planing, jointing, and the router table. As long as the can is less than 2/3 full it picks up 95% or better. Dumping the garbage can is also much easier than the collector bag. I recommend one for low budget systems.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys I was going nuts trying to figure this out

Comment

oops

Comment

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Just about as much info as you'll ever need about cyclones in a woodworking shop. Probably more than you'll ever want to know.

Comment

Working...
              X