X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter slots in the TS2424

I thought miter slots were supposed to be 3/8" X 3/4". Careful measurement of the miter slots in the table of my TS2424 reveals them to be undersized by about .008". This causes me trouble when I want to build a jig or buy aftermarket attachements. I've got a friend who owns/operates a machine shop. Should I get him to machine the slots to a true 3/4"??
    It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

That difference should not be a problem with most aftermarket jigs. Almost all have an adjustable miter bar, than will allow the accessory to fit. The only problem I have ever encountered is with the Delta tenoning jig. It does not have an adjustable bar. In that case I would have the machine shop take 5-10 thousands off the bar.

Comment

I fabricate most of my own jigs and tooling; I only buy what I can't dream up. Occasionally I'll use 3/4" aluminum channel or square tube as "runners" for the slots. Since the OEM builds them to .750" nominal, normally I machine the material to fit. This becomes a pain in the neck. I just was wondering why Ridgid made the slots undersized and if anyone else machined their miter slots to .750"
      It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

Its a story that goes back many years, when we started making the Craftsman table saws. We have always made the slot exactly 3/4" and tolerenced the bar down to fit. While Delta made there bar 3/4" and tolerenced their slot up to fit. People ask why we are not "industry standard", that's becuase the is no standard set out anyplace. At one time we sold many more table saws than Delta, so we would have been the "standard". The Delta slot really only became the standard, because the imports decided to copy Delta and not Craftsman.

I will imagine in the next generation of table saws from RIDGID, you will see the wider slots (don't ask when you will see that, I don't know ).

Jake

Comment

Working...
        X