X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help squaring 8' long boards

Hi all. Not a great woodworker, but I have built some nice things in the past, but lack alot of experience. I have the 3650 and I am trying to build a bookcase for a friend.

I thought I might be able to get by with attaching a 1 1/2ft 2x4 to the miter gauge and then having a friend hold the end of the board and move with me as I pushed it through, but I ended up with angled ends somewhere in the range of 1/2" - 3/4".

I don't know what the best way would be to try and get the edges square with pieces that are so long. They are 16" wide, so trying to use my miter saw is out. It does cut the wood, but I have to flip it over and I can't see how I can line it up just right, so the edge is flat all the way across. I end up with one side cutting in slightly further than the other.

This is killing me. I guess I could take the pieces to the big box store and have them run it down their sliding saw, but I would prefer to try and do it at home, since there is no guarantee that their cuts would be square anyways.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

Re: Need help squaring 8' long boards

Some methods I have used:

1. Clamp a guide across the board and use either circular saw and/or router. Cut first with circular saw and then use the router to trim if the edge is not perfectly square in both dimensions or is too rough.

2. Use the miter saw: Clamp down the wood and slowly drop the blade into it and then finish the cut. Flip board over and align blade with cut and cut the remainder. To align the second cut with the blade, use a 12" framing square referenced off the side that was against the fence on the first cut.

Trying to cut a long board like that on the 3650 is very difficult unless you have made a large panel cutting sled. I usually use my circular saw, but have a 40 tooth blade on it and also it has a good solid shoe so I can get it square to the blade and a fairly smooth cut. If your circular saw (if you have one) does not have a good flat shoe, than the router (taking light cuts) will probably give the best results.

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

can you say circular saw? anybody you know have a radial arm saw? great way to crosscut something like you described.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
        Some methods I have used:

1. Clamp a guide across the board and use either circular saw and/or router. Cut first with circular saw and then use the router to trim if the edge is not perfectly square in both dimensions or is too rough.

2. Use the miter saw: Clamp down the wood and slowly drop the blade into it and then finish the cut. Flip board over and align blade with cut and cut the remainder. To align the second cut with the blade, use a 12" framing square referenced off the side that was against the fence on the first cut.

Trying to cut a long board like that on the 3650 is very difficult unless you have made a large panel cutting sled. I usually use my circular saw, but have a 40 tooth blade on it and also it has a good solid shoe so I can get it square to the blade and a fairly smooth cut. If your circular saw (if you have one) does not have a good flat shoe, than the router (taking light cuts) will probably give the best results.

Go
        That's funny, b/c about an hour after I posted, I came up with the idea of using my circular saw and a piece of wood clamped down. I also like the framing square to line up the 2nd cut on the miter saw.

I'll try them both tomm and see which works best.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Make a saw board. You can also make one to use with a router.
          Here's a description of how to:
          http://benchnotes.com/Skillsaw%20Gui..._guide_boa.htm

You will still need a decent square to mark your cut line...or you can make the sawboard with a T-square end on it so it will always cut 90 degrees to the long edge.

Comment

Working...
          X